MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Old handwriting is sometimes hard to read.

Another Emazing Genealogy Tip of The Day.:

Create a Font Comparison Chart for Yourself

If you are working with documents with old handwriting, sometimes a visual comparison chart can help you decipher the old handwriting. One way to create a homemade version of such a chart is to open your word processor, and type every letter of the alphabet in upper case, every letter in

the lower case, and every numeral, separated with one or two spaces. Set your font size at 14 or 16 points. Then,

copy and past your creation multiple times on the page.

Next, select one block of the characters and make changes to the font face, using samples that are similar to the

handwriting you are trying to read. Script, Brushscript, Breidopf Fraktur, Gaelic, Matura, Mistral, and others can provide a visual example with which to compare your

document.

- George G. Morgan

Hope someone can use this information. smile.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

If you ever need help with this subject I have taken classes in Old English and I got to translate Slave trade contracts that were written in Old English that were found in the basement of our Public Library. With you being a genealogist Snowmom I can imagine you would appreciate seeing and reading these contracts. They are unbelievable and very well preserved for their age.

Oh Reci, you have found a real find. smile.gif I would love to have a chance to read those contracts. smile.gif But, I am sure we will never make it out to NY.

According to our family history, one of my great-great-grandfather was raised by his uncle who was a slave owner in KY. We don't know just why he and some of his brothers were raised by the uncle and we have never found out who his father was though and would love to find out. smile.gif

We have a lot of unanswered questions on several sides. But we are never going to give up the hunt. smile.gif

Thank you for sharing this information with us. smile.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

I wish I could photocopy them for you too see snowmom but because they are of an older age I dont know how the process would affect the print.

Who knows, you just might make it out to NY some day. Never say Never...LOL thats my motto.