MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Civil War Research

Anybody know any good way of doing this??

I go to some of the sites and find family names, but have no way of knowing if they're MINE or not. Plus, you have to search through all the different units....is there anyplace that lists soldiers by NAME, then tells you their troop etc.??

I know one ancestor was in the Union infantry, only because a cousin sent me a photo of his headstone and it lists his unit.

Any tips here??

------------------

gl.jpg

Goosie, I don't have time right now, but after the grandsons leave, I will see what I can find for you.

I think most of the lists are in states. So, if you know what state your family was in at the time, or what state he inlisted in that would be a place to start.

My great-grandfather was living in one state and inlisted in a different state.

Are you able to read on the headstone the state that the unit was in? If so, go to google.com and put 'Civil War list for', and add the state. Then you should be able to come up with something.

I hope this helps. smile.gif

Sorry about this, but just came on line to check the e-mail and see what was new in here. Just need to get going, as we haven't eaten breakfast yet. Then, we need to go to town and do some shopping. smile.gif

Hope you have a great day and hope this has helped a little. smile.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few minutes to browse in my town library's genealogy room this morning and I found a set of books titled,

"War of the Rebellion: Official Records of the Union & Confederate Armies"

Of course....DH wanted to leave before I found anything interesting rolleyes.gif BUT, I plugged that title into a google search and guess what????

Yup! grin.gif It's online!

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/browse....raphs/waro.html

I haven't had a chance to play around with this yet, but if it's the entire set of volumes it is a huge amount of information.

Just HAD to share it with you! smile.gif

------------------

gl.jpg