MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

genealogy

Guest Guest

So, what names do we have represented right here, or are people comfortable saying or is it against the rules? I have had a fair amount of success in tracing my husband's family (have gotten back to England with that)because his surname is unusual but my maiden name is very common and I am stuck in 1700's Virginia.

It is very interesting, but I have to agree with what Aslan said to Prince Caspian in the Chronicles of Narnia when he lamented that he wished his lineage was more honorable (his ancestors were pirates). I can't remember the exact quote and my books are lended out, but something to the affect that he was a descendant of Adam and Eve and that was enough to both give him pride and reason to strive for the good (as man was created just a bit lower than angels but will judge them) and give him shame to keep him humble.

I think some people are a bit leary of putting names out, but we do on the other sites, so here goes for here. smile.gif

Bartlett, Beebe/Bebee, Broadwell, Clark, Eldredge/Eldridge, Gugin, Jones, Knapp, Lee, Lewis, Moore, Nichols, Noble, Place, Trenary. Just to name a few names.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Heres mine: Hook, Hayden, Holdcroft, Hoge,

Nelson, Hemery, Tharp, Thorp,

Jennings, Thimmes, Dayton,

When I began tracing my family tree I found most of the Hooks and Haydens, and Tharps origonated in NJ and then moved westward... it is so ironic that this lineage has gone full circle across this great USA and one of us is now back in NJ again grin.gif...

Hey Snowmom, I was a Jones, does that make us relatives! grin.gif In a town close by there are Beebe's. I thought that was such a different name when I first heard it that it stuck with me.

Let's see there is Snook, Jones, Engstrom, Heggen, French, Larsen.

------------------

dee.jpg

Wow, Dee, maybe we are cousins. smile.gif Where are your Jones people from? Mine are from KY and OH. Looking for parents of Horace Lee Jones, he was my gggrandfather. We know he lived with an uncle who was a slave owner and Horace and 3 brothers ran away from home and crossed the Ohio River into Ohio. One brother was lost in the river and no one knows the names of the brothers. If any of this fits, we are related. smile.gif

Wouldn't that be great. smile.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

I really don't know a whole lot about the Jones' but I do know my great grandfather was from Ohio originally. He and my great grandmother had 9 boys. After my great grandfather died she raised all the boys and they pretty well scattered through the years. A few of them ended up in Iowa.

------------------

dee.jpg

Dee, sounds more and more like we could be cousins. smile.gif

My great grandfather, Thomas Benton Jones and his wife Sarah Ann (Scott) are buried in Mapleton, IA. At one time T. B. Jones had a saw mill there.

I have found many cousins on both my side as well as Old Pines side on the internet. smile.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Names for me: Harris (so far,traced back to Solomon Harris of Surrey County, N.C., circa 1771; they then went to Kentucky,then Missouri) Woodward (Detroit to Missouri,all I know), Redmond and Levi (have info back to Ireland, mid 1800's,for both), Fox, Axon(have info back to Canada and then back to England, 1700's) and Roe.

I have lots, and lots of Campbell's.

My main lines are Hubbard, Ball, Hamblin & Campbell

I also have

Hoskins

Morgan

Couch

Duff

Eversole

Judd

Hignite

Ramsey

Baker

Colwell (or Coldwell)

Stidham

Combs

My Hamblins seem to have come from VA to KY, the rest of my lines came from Ashe County NC straight to southeastern KY.

------------------

gl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Goosie, just look at the number of Hamblins there are at Rootsweb. smile.gif

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/i...blin&given=

You can narrow the search down by using the first name. smile.gif

Dee, here is what I found for the 'Snook' name.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/i...nook&given=

Twila, here is yours for 'Thimmes'.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

LadyTiana, here are some for the name 'Harris'.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

If you all go to the urls I put, then put the first names and any other information you have, it will narrow it way down. smile.gif

You can always start at this point and use your other names in the 'surname' space too. smile.gif

Man, after I posted, I went to the sites, and the two just came up empty. frown.gif Well, you just have to put your names in the space for it. I guess there were to many with that last name so they didn't do them. frown.gif Sorry about that Twila and LadyT.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

[This message has been edited by Snowmom (edited September 23, 2002).]

• 3 weeks later...

Lady T -

I'm very new to this board, but not so new to geneology.... I've been working on mine for over 20 years now and have taken some of my lines back to 1015.

Just a small word of warning... as great as all the on line info is... be careful about taking it all at face value. There are many errors out there on line that are just spread faster than with a paper trail. And, only about 5 - 6 % of what is available is even on line at present.

I work in the Family History Center of the Church of Jesus Christ and have helped many people with their own family searches. It really is an addiction... but a fun one! I have found that there always comes a point where you need to go to raw research which means microfilms and trips to musty old basements to look at actual documents, newspapers, etc.

Also important is spellings of names. Keep in mind that there can be a dozen different ways to spell some names and all of them need to be checked. Illiteracy and lack of education in certian time frames cause many of the spelling changes as well as moves from one area to another.

Sorry this is so long, but I could go on forever with this topic... it's so much fun to raise the dead !!

Have a great day and happy hunting!!

Llamamomma

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Llamamomma. Welcome to the site. Come on up to the Sun Porch and introduce yourself. smile.gif

Please add any information you want to, as we all can use any help you want to give. smile.gif

I have been working on genealogy for close to 30 years now, but have never been to one of the 'Family History Centers'. Would love to get a chance to go, but right now doesn't look like it will happen for a while.

I am wondering if you would be willing to do some 'looking up' for anyone?

Again, welcome to the site. smile.gif

Have a great day.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

• 2 years later...