MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Scam e-mail making the rounds again...

Wheeler

Copied from RootsWeb Review...

SAVE YOUR EUROS, DOLLARS, and POUNDS. Another variant of the so-called Nigerian scam e-mail is making the rounds again and fooling some genealogists. The e-mail may appear to be sent by a barrister, (attorney) representing the estate of some long-lost relative you never knew you had (your last name may be inserted into the e-mail message) who perished along with his family in a car or airplane accident recently.

The scammer will claim to have gone to a lot of trouble to find you in order to give you a share of the (usually) millions of dollars available if you'll just forward your bank account information to him or send him some money. He may claim to have found you through RootsWeb. Do not respond to such scams.

The country involved is not always Nigeria. Ghana, South Africa and other West African states are sometimes mentioned. Occasionally the scam operates from other countries, such as the Netherlands (Amsterdam), the United Kingdom (London), Spain (Madrid), or Canada (Toronto).

The United States Federal Trade Commission has issued a consumer alert about this Nigerian scam. Americans who receive an offer via e-mail from someone claiming to need your help getting money out of Nigeria -- or any other country, for that matter -- forward it to the FTC at spam@uce.gov

There are myriad variants of this scam -- including "winning

notifications" from a lottery company, fake charities, and fake church scams. Ignore them all. Save your money for genealogical research.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/nigeralrt.htm

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp

It wouldn't work on me either Momo! I wouldn't have enough in my checking account to interest them! I don't open "stuff" like this anyway... I've been getting one, three or four times a day, that has the subject "get your $500 now"... I just trash them... I don't know how some people can be so gullible anyway! I think these are usually older people ... I'm 'older than dirt' and I even know better!!!

Archived