MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Strawberry Pineapple Jam

This is a very good jam and not overly sweet despite the amount of sugar. We like it so much at our house that it's the only kind of strawberry jam we made this year. 48 1/2 half pints or so! Try to use canned pineapple from Hawaii or the Philippines if you can, the flavor is much better than that from Indonesia, IMHO.

Strawberry Pineapple Jam

Needed: 3 cups hulled, crushed ripe strawberries (about 1 1/2 quarts whole berries)

1 cup drained canned crushed pineapple

6 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 tsp unsalted butter

1 3-oz pouch of liquid pectin.

Combine the berries, pineapple, sugar and butter in a pot. Heat over medium-low heat until sugar is completely dissolved, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium-high and bring mix to a full rolling boil, still stirring constantly. Stir in liquid pectin. Return the mix to a full rolling boil, still stirring constantly. Boil, still stirring, for 1 full minute. Then remove pot from heat and skim off foam.

Cool the jam for 5 minutes, stir gently every minute or so to distribute the fruit. Then ladle into hot jars. Leave 1/4 inch headspace. Process half pints in a 200 degree F boiling waterbath for 10 minutes and pint jars for 15 minutes.

Yield: about 8 half pint jars.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the recipe! I made this one last night...came to exactly 4 pints + 3 tablespoons that my roomie spooned directly into his mouth... rofl . I didn't have any liquid pectin, so I substituted the powder. How long until these set? I read on the pectin box that jams can take up to 2 weeks to set. It's been 28 hours, and they are still soft in the jars, but everything sealed up tight!

I also made Annie's Salsa yesterday. That came to 6 pints. I took pics, but I think it would be redundant to post them. Wish I had taken pics of making the strawberry/pineapple jam, but I was stirring the whole time, and couldn't manage the camera!!! shrug

It was a fun canning day! Thanks again!

bighugcanningcheer

Thanks Tiger! Soft set is just fine. The "homemade" knockoffs I get at Whole Foods are soft and I love it. Just wanted to make sure I was getting good results.

This jam is totally delicious! My roomie is planning on making his homemade yeast biscuits just so we can eat some more...lol... roflfeedmehappy02

Archived