MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vacuum Sealing Flour

I know it's been discussed here a long long time ago about vacuum saving flour. It isn't a good idea because the fine flour particles can clog up the vacuum sealer and ruin it. But, I just saw a video of how Mrs. Volfie (I like her) does hers and I liked it. What she does is put her flour in the freezer for four days to kill any weevil eggs that might be in the bag. Yes, that is quite common. That's how the little vermin get in there in the first place...eggs. Then she measures out some of the flour and puts it in a new paper lunch bag and folds it down on itself once and puts a label on it to hold it down. Then she puts it in a vacuum sealer plastic bag and vacuum seals it. The paper bag acts as a (Oh Lawsy, I can't think of the word) barrier so the flour isn't as apt to clog the machine. Then she stores them in a plastic bin.

I'm going to do this the next time I need flour. I have two Food Savers. One is very old and works 'most of the time' so I'll use that one. I freeze my flour for a week just in case and I also freeze my rice a week before storing it for the same reason.

FILTER. The paper bag acts as a filter. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeepers
Remembered a word.
  • Like 1