MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

James Patterson - Maury County Tennessee

Hi Buttercup,

It would really help if you could give us a date or an 'about' date! Here's what I found:

1860 Census: Columbia, Maury County, Tennessee 1860

Series: M653 Roll: 1264 Page: 516 Dwelling 855 Family 855:

James M. Patterson, age 31, Physician, born Tennessee

Sophronia Patterson, age 23

a n d...

1910 Census 6th District, Maury County, Tennessee

Series: T624 Roll: 1512 Page: 197 Dwelling: 125 Family: 126

James Patterson, age 26, born Tennessee, farmer

Nettie Patterson, age either 21 or 23

Could either of these be yours? I hope so...

I thought I put more information on here. Hmm. I might have dreamed it. Or put it in the wrong forum. Anyway.... James Patterson is my 5th great grandpa, his son David would be my 4th, his daughter Nancy Jane Patterson Randol is my 3rd her son John Wesley would be my great Grandpa, his son Harold Wesley Randol was my Grandpa and his daughter Mona Maxine was my Mom. I know that some of James's sons fought with Andrew Jackson, I know that one of them died while trying to help people at Donner Pass... There is a book floating out there somewhere. After leaving Tennessee they settled in Shelby and Moultrie County Illinois. This all took place in the 1800's as my Grandpa himself was born in 1900. Some of it might even be dated back to the 1700's. I have registered to Wes's site. But I am thinking it's a different line altogether. Thanks for the links!

• 1 month later...

I am looking for parents / info on:

Confederate Soldier James Daniel Patterson b 1840 GA

who m Nancy Emeline Bowman b 1840 Roane co, TN

[dau of Lewis Bowman and Rebecca ______ both b TN;

Lewis son of Rev War soldier John Bowman of VA and Bethsheba Hooper]

Nancy had 3 sons by 1st husband, Union Soldier Samuel R S Matheny [d during Civil War], and several children by 2nd husband James D Patterson.

The 1870 Census for Lamar co, TX shows:

James D Patterson 29 GA

Nancy E Patterson 30 TN

Charles Matheny 13 TN

Henry L Matheny 11 TN

Cornelius Matheny 9 TN

Laura B Patterson 3 TN

Edgar W Patterson 4/12 TX

Same page, a little way above this family, is another Patterson family but I am not sure how / if they relate:

James W Patterson 40 TN

Nancy P Patterson 38 TN

Maury? B Patterson 16 TX [this is a male]

Margret L Patterson 15 TX

Sandra? Patterson 12 TX

James E Patterson 11 TX

Mary L Patterson 9 TX

John W Patterson 4 TX

The 1880 Census for LaClede co, Missouri shows:

Jas B Patterson 41 GA GA GA

Nancy E Patterson 40 TN TN TN

Laura B Patterson 12 TN GA TN

Edger W Patterson 10 TX GA TN

Oscar F Patterson 8 TX GA TN

Milard R Patterson 5 MO GA TN

Cordelia E Patterson 1 MO GA TN ----- my line -----

Cordelia Eunice "Delia" Patterson b 1879 MO d ca 1938

m Herbert Vance "Bert" Bradford b 1877 d 1979

[son of Samuel Vance Bradford and Elizabeth Herbert McFarland]

Bert and Delia were my father's grandparents...

Any assistance or pointers where to look will be much appreciated!

Alie Jo

Hello Alie... welcome to MrsSurvival...

Here's what I found on your Patterson ancestors...

Go to this website and after it opens click Ctrl+F and type in patterson... This site relates to your family but still does not answer your question... you may already have this...

http://members.aol.com/Rictobin/source3.html

I also found this site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~t...hera/pafn04.htm

When this site opens do a Ctrl+Find and again type in patterson and it should take you to the paragraphs that would interest you... This site also does not answer your question!

On the Census 1870>Dist. #3>Paris>Lamar County>Texas

Series: M593 Roll: 1594 Page: 324 Line: 13

You have Laura B. Patterson age 3

It looks like Thomas age 3 to me but does say she is Female. Maybe my old eyes are not seeing too well...

I wish I could have helped you, but some days are like that... Good luck in your search...

I am working on an electronic book of merchants scrip of Tennessee. Merchants scrip is paper money issued by a store, or other business most of it was issued was issued during the Civil war but some after the war up through the 1890s. I have a copy (JPG) of a piece of scrip that is from Bigbyville, TN (Maury County). Bigbyville was about 11 miles southwest of Columbia, TN. The 50 cent scrip was signed Patterson & White and has a printed date of Jan 31, 1863. If this matches a Patterson you are looking for let me know. Will share the jpg of the scrip if you are want. Would like any information on Patterson and White to use in my electronic book.

The only thing I know for sure and for certain is that my "Grandpa James Patterson" and a couple of his sons moved to Moultrie County Illinois to a small town named Sullivan. His son David was well known in the community. I found all this online, I was very excited. This was indeed my line of ancestors. While my mom was alive we used to go to Sullivan to the cemetaries. We cannot find Grandpa J's grave as all the stones were piled in a corner and the ground was farmed over. I was thinking that we had found David(2), as well as Nancy Jane(3) and my Great grandparents Wesley and Belle. Every time I drive through Sullivan I think to myself "This is where they all lived and died" and it makes me very proud.

Thats a great feeling isn't it Buttercup? I've walked on the same ground that my great great great grandparents walked on and you just have the feeling that they're there with you! Am I hooked on genealogy or what? People who are not looking for their ancestors don't know what they're missing... it doesn't have to be full time, just jump in gradually and before you know it you're hooked!!! I just got a message from a very distant cousin today... now I'm waiting for her to reply to my reply!

• 10 months later...