MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

L ~Canning home-made soups

kde_batt

I was going to can some okra soup, I have never canned it before. It takes tomatoes, okra, green beans, corn... Since tomatoes normally are water-bathed, and veggies cook in the pressure canner, My question is, will canning the tomatoes in the pressure canner ruin them or turn the taste bad? Also, can I add some beef bouillon to the mix - will that can alright?

Guest Guest

pressure canning won't change anything.... ok, before anyone yells at me... I am talking about flavor.

I have never used bouillon because I make my own broths. My husband doesn't care for salt so I prepare everything with out as much as possible.

Other then being a bit salty, you can add a little bouillon at a time. Remember to clear your palate with a piece of cheese after each taste... Wine is better

ah heck.. throw some wine in it too.

Guest Guest

Westie's right...

(well, about the CANNING... :rolleyes: )

Pressure canning tomatoes doesn't change the flavor at all, it's just that acidic foods don't HAVE to have the extra heat and time that pressure canning creates.

(Of course, waterbath canning *today's* tomatoes require a bit of lemon juice added to each can to be SURE they're acidic enough... I'll clarify if you need it. )

ALWAYS pressure can your soups for the time required for the ingredient needing the longest time.

And bouillion is fine to use, but I would add a bit less, becase you can always add more when you open it.

(Sage is one of the ingredients you don't can because it gets bitter. You add it after opening.)

But I have to admit I haven't heard of a wine-okra soup... <_<

Guest Guest

homecanning.com is owned by the people that manufacture the Ball and Kerr canning jars and lids. I've looked at their recipes there and they do have some that look good.

Westie and Cat hit the nail on the head as far as suggestions on how to make the best out of your canning the okra. You'll just hafta make sure you let us know how it all comes out!

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is for canning soups.....but how about casseroles? We make a casserole of hamburger, onion, potatoes and cream of mushroom soup. Would this work for canning?

Thanks....

CeeGee

Guest Guest

In *my* opinion (for what it's worth ) casseroles are usually better when mixed up "fresh". Mostly because they're so thick. Canning thick things usually isn't as appealing.

I'd can the hamburger & onion together, then make it from there.

Extra broth could always be drained (frozen if necessary) and used in soups or stews.

How would you can the hamburger and onions? Would you bake it 3/4 done or fry it 3/4 done? I am so new to canning that I have no idea.

Thank you for taking time to answer all of my questions!

CeeGee

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to research this a bit better for you, CeeGee...

Here's what the Ball website has for "chopped meat" (hamburger):

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/AlRecipes.asp?R=357

And one that cans it in patties:

http://www.christianhomekeeper.com/meat.html

Just chop up your onions to fry with your hamburger.

The one from Ball says to "sear" the meat (brown but not entirely cook). It then heats the meat to boiling in broth/water/tomato juice. So the meat is being cooked, but not entirely "FRIED", if you know what I mean by the difference.

I would use broth instead of just water, but tomato juice if I would be using it in chili or spaghetti, etc. I would imagine broth would make it more versatile.

And if you don't "need" that broth for your dish after opening, don't just dump it. Use it in a soup, or stuffing, or some other way so it's not wasted.

Archived