MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning meat

Leia

I want to try my hand at canning some meat......I am curious, though, as to the advantages/disadvantages between raw and hot pack. Are some meats canned better one way rather than the other? Is it just a personal preference? May I ask which way you use and why??

One other question, if you can stand it I did make some ground meat sauce (ground meat in tomato paste used as a base for things like sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce, etc). For meat items that are canned *in* something (i.e, tomato paste) will the smell still come through when it's cooked if the meat has gone bad? All the reading on meat canning I have come across says to boil for 20 minutes after opening to detect any odor....I just am wondering about other smells coming through and not being able to detect if the meat went bad. That make sense??? Clear as mud, right??

Thanks for your insight on this!

Shawna

As far as I can tell, raw or hot pack is mostly personal preference. That said, I haven't canned anything but cooked meat. I've canned "leftovers", meat in broth.

I'm pretty sure any spoiled meats will be *very* clear to you. They get putrid pretty fast and look "funny" even if you don't notice a smell right away.

Wipe the rims well before capping, and don't use too much or too little broth. Be sure you follow directions exactly.

**Thinking about the frozen beef tenderloin I bought on sale last week, and wondering if I should try canning it...**

Cat

I like to can meats the raw pack way. As Cat (the brat) said, make sure to follow directions carefully. And as westie taught me, when I canned a bunch of chicken breast meat last week, I poured boiling water over the raw chicken and then processed it. Not only do I have beautifully canned chicken but the water turned into chicken broth that I can use possibly with the canned chicken at a later date!

Canning is soooooooo much fun and so rewarding...good luck!

the meat tastes like meat you cooked! it tastes like say.. cooked chicken or cooked beef.

it is a flavor to get by on? nope! well... I guess that is really depends on you and what you are used to.

Chicken cooked in its own juices... raw pack

Chicken cooked in water making a broth...sort of raw pack

Chicken cooked in seasoning and packed with the broth..hot pack

This tastes like... chicken

what can be made from this?

chicken sandwiches, chicken tacos, chicken enchiladas, chicken soup, pot pies, chicken and dumplings, casserole, ??? it is up to you.

what you have is cooked chicken that you can eat right out of the jar! it is up to you to make something out of it.

adding anything to the jar before pressure canning, will make it ????

drag it out? with all the sales on meat and seasonal vegetables and fruit and you are gonna drag it out?

tsk, tsk.

a little west of sane... makes me more sane the the rest of ya! ;)

Archived