MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question re: pressure canner recipes

twilap

When reading any info about using the Pressure Canner (and of course Water Boil canning) they say you should use recipes that have been scientifically tested. I have a recipe for "Cabbage Patch Soup" that I would really like to can in the Pressure canner, but how do I know if it is safe? It has broth, beans, ground beef, tomato's, cabbage, etc. in it. Any thoughts?

Also....if anyone has any good soup recipes for canning that you use, I would love the recipes. Thanks!

I am not sure about the cabbage, but if you want to try it, I'd say go ahead. Maybe only a few jars of it and wait a few weeks or a couple months and see how it is by then.

You can can beans, so why not cabbage??

As far as only tested recipes, I canned some 3 bean hotdish, chili, bacon, sausage, ground beef, with and without onions. I would try anything once, we even canned broccoli and cauliflower. I didn't like them so they didn't get used. But, if I had needed them in 2000 I would have had them and maybe used them.

We canned mixed beans and I think that almost anything can be canned.

Tomatoes is the one thing I know I don't can like the rules say. I get the water hot, dip them in and get the skin off. Then I put them in a large kettle and boil them for a few minutes and put them in jars. I add 1/2 tesp, for pints and and 1 tsp for a qt. Put the lids and rings on and when they are sealed, they are as good as any other. Oh, be sure to wipe off the top of the jar when you can any thing.

Good luck.

I have seen some recipes for soup with cabbage in it....so that is when I got the idea about canning our favorite soup. So......it doesn't matter about having certain amounts of ingredients or anything? I am not sure how to ask this for sure....I just don't know if you are supposed to have a certain balance of things in your pressure canner....but then you can use it to can meat that doesn't have anything else but water or broth....so I guess I am thinking it would be okay. Hmmmmm...I guess when my first cabbage is ready, I will can a few quarts like you said and see how it does. What would I be looking for when I opened it in a few weeks after that? (I know....I know...I have lots of questions!)

We have far more knowledge then out Grandmothers did about canning. Many of our recipes come from Grandmother and it isn't the ingredients that is the problem, it is the process used to can that is.

People still can meat in a water bath canner.. cause Grandma did and Mom did and it didn't kill them!!! but we know so much more now.

Be sure to follow all the safe canning procedures, find the ingredient that requires the longest amount of cooking time and process it for that time ...and... Make sure you follow the time required for the altitude you are.

Your cabbage soup will be fine.

Archived