MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

In-laws to be

Freetobeme

I have a strange situation. My daughter's dad and his wife went on vacation with DD and future SIL and future SIL's mom and grandma this summer. Before the vacation, they were all chummy and went out to dinner together and so on. After the vacation, they aren't on good terms. Now we have the wedding approaching. I mentioned to 'dad' that DD and I were going to a bridal expo and he said he and his wife would like to go, but not if future SIL's mom was going. (I didn't invite ANY of them.) Neither the wife or the mom are in very good shape for doing a lot of walking, so I don't think they would have enhanced the bridal expo experience anyway. When I mentioned the fact that tickets had to be purchased in advance, 'dad' was no longer interested.

The question is, how am I supposed to keep DD's big day calm, happy, and focused on her if these big babies insist on being like this? I'm not particularly fond of the wife or the mom, but I manage to put on a congenial face and treat them well when I have to be around them. I figure I don't have to live with them and I can make nice for the sake of the kids for a few hours here and there. Why can't they?

Just treat them nice,and try to use the golden rule. But don't bend over backwards for people. The truth is, there are many people who can't be pleased no matter what you do.Some folks start off with a chip on their shoulder ready to start something over nothing. One of my favorite mottos is "You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family" Hope it all works out for the wedding.

Archived