MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ginger - the root, not our friend

redhenfarm

This is from Dr. Andrew Weil:

Herbal Remedy of the Week: Ginger

If minor aches and pains are an issue for you, try ginger, a natural anti-inflammatory agent that is useful for relieving symptoms associated with arthritis, bursitis, motion sickness, nausea and more. Ginger is commonly available in forms ranging from whole fresh root, crystallized ginger and honey-based ginger syrups to capsules containing powdered extracts. Look for products made with only 100% pure ginger. For inflammatory conditions, take 1 or 2 g of powdered ginger a day; for nausea and prevention of motion sickness, take 1,000 mg as a preventive and 500 mg every four hours as needed. (You might also try eating eat two pieces of crystallized ginger, taking a spoonful of ginger syrup or sipping ginger tea.) Since high doses may cause a burning sensation in the stomach, take ginger with food. Ginger may also act as a blood thinner, so curbing daily use at least two weeks before surgery is advisable.

Thanks, Peaceful!

I'm named after a pretty potent and highly recommended root. I know many midwives that suggest thier mothertobe's to use ginger for morning sickness.

For me personally, I attribute the concentrated ginger added to a hot chai tea recipe that kept me from coming down with any sinus or colds that I am so prone to getting in the winter. I need to stock up and get healthy for this upcoming flu season.

my midwife suggested i take ginger when iw as pregnant because i was VERY sick. (could not keep even water down) only problem was the very smell of ginger made me want to puke! and that christmas my sister in law gave me ginger lemon lip balm and ginger lemon foot scrub. lol i still cant stand the smell of ginger though in still put in it stir fry. and the pink stuff on my sushi.

Archived