MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cooking from scratch is the best way to cook.

Guest Guest

The food tastes so much better IMHO when it is made from scratch not from a box or a can. Here is a recipe for you to try......

Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes.

Ingredients:

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1-1/4 cups sugar

1 tablespoon Baking Powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup soft shortening

3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)

1/3 cup evaporated milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 package (6 ozs.) semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/4 cup margarine, softened

2 tablespoons evaporated milk

1 teaspoon banana flavoring

2 cups powdered sugar

Mixing Directions:

Preheat oven to 375° F. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, Baking Powder and salt. Add all at once shortening, bananas, evaporated milk, vanilla, and eggs. Beat on medium until blended, then beat 3 minutes longer. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into greased muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full.

Baking Directions:

Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan. Cool on wire rack. Frost. Makes 24 cupcakes.

Banana Frosting:

In a small bowl, combine margarine, evaporated milk, and banana flavoring. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing until smooth after each addition. Mix until frosting is smooth and shiny. If consistency is too thick, add a few drops of evaporated milk.

------------------

Job 38 & 39

How can anyone look around at the earth and creation and not believe in God?

I think that everyone would agree that cooking from scratch is the best way to cook. However, this topic came up on another forum I visit, and several points were raised which didn't immediately come to mind. the thread was started by someone who professed to alwyas cook from scratch, without fail, and extolling the virtues thereof, and putting down those who don't. there followed quite a ding-dong among the posters, but the alient points were as follows. Not everyone is able to cook from scratch for a variety of reasons; some don't have the health to carry heavy shopping, peel large amounts of veggies, etc, due to problems such as arthritis, rheumatism, etc. Some have mobility problems and can't get out much and have problems fetching and carrying, etc. Some people don't have storage space for a lot of food. Some have no interest whatsoever in cooking for a number of reasons, lack of time, cooking facilities, etc. And I suppose some are a bit lazy in the kitchen.

The person who started the thread was very self-righteous about her cooking from scratch accomplishments, but really irked some people by not fully considering the reasons why soem people may not. I found the whole thread very interesting, and it came up with some reasons I hadn't thought of why people don't do it. Thought you'd be interested too.

I know he wasn't either, but the "cooking from scratch" caught my eye and reminded me of the posts on the other forums. It brought up a couple of things I hadn't thought of, and thought others might be interested. Cooking from scratch is definitely the best if you can, though.