MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

R ~a meat canning question

grace

Help me understand your question better...

Are you asking how to cut meats into smaller pieces like you'd find in canned tuna or chicken, or a smoked fish spread?

Well, IMHO, I would think that meats that you ground up in your food processor would be mixed with a mayonaise for a base...from there you could add your spices, or pickle relish, onions, garlic, olives, whatever you like...

Here's a couple of recipes to give you an idea:

Hawaiian Ham Spread

1 1/2 cups cooked ground ham*

1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained

1 teaspoon packed brown sugar

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)

2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise

Combine all ingredients; stir well and serve on sandwich bread or as an appetizer with crackers.

Simple Ham Spread

1 pound diced ham, put through food processor

1/3 cup finely chopped onion

2 teaspoons dill pickle relish (or sweet relish if you prefer)

1 teaspoon prepared mustard

1/4 cup mayonnaise

Place the ham into a food processor, grind on pulse until very coarse. Add the onion and dill pickle relish close to the end of this stage. Put into mixing bowl and stir in the mustard and mayonnaise until well blended.

Spoon about 1/2 cup of salad onto sandwich bread.

Easy Chicken Spread

2 cups minced cooked chicken

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup finely chopped celery

1/8 cup finely chopped onion

salt and pepper, to taste

cayenne, garlic, onion powder, your choice, to taste

Mix together and serve on sandwiches.

Anyway, here's a couple of ideas, if I finally understood your question correctly...I'm tired too! lol

You don't want to make mixtures of meat based sandwich-spread-type foods in canning.

If anything, I'd can it in pieces separately and grind it *after* you open it to use.

In my experience, meats don't "flake" well after canning, but grinding would work.

Thank you Cat...I need to stop reading posts later in the evening, I get so confused cause I'm tired...lol

I thought she was looking for recipes on what to do with meats like that, not how to can them...

*rolling eyes at self*

rofl

LOL I'm so sorry, I keep mucking up my words. :huh:

Exacly what I'm wanting to know is this. If I cook meat and then grind it and want to can it like that what do I need to do?

I can find directions on canning larger pieces of meat but not on ground type meat. I'm wondering because it would be thicker in the jar and would it need to be processed longer?

Oh and thanks for the spread recipes yummy!

Kim

Who promises never to write when she can't keep her eyes open again

Ok, I'm gonna try this again...lol

Yanno, I've been sitting here thinking about your question...about grinding cooked meat into a spread/paste like consistancy...I keep thinking about the conversation I had a few months ago with a woman at the Canning Division for the USDA...she talked about some restrictions were placed on canning because of its density, and the ability while under pressure, for the heat to permeate through that density.

As I sit here thinking, every thing I can (with the exception of jams, etc) has fluid in it, whether it be water or juice or broth. I don't exactly have the correct answer, but I'd hafta say that for me, I would refrain from trying to can anything that thick...I'd can whatever meats I needed, in a safe and proven way, and make my spreads later when I opened up my jar.

Perhaps someone else might have some different ideas, but those are my thoughts about this.

Archived