MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thanks for camping info!

CeeGee

Hi everyone,

All the suggestions are helpful! I appreciate you forwarding my questions Diinmi.

Midnightmom- I already have both editions of Walmart atlas(big print and regular). I'tll feel like home since I already think I live there.

Shepherd- I will have an awning on the van and my husband is already figuring out how to velcro netting to it so we'll have a little outside room.

Fleefromit- Welcome! and Thanks for the info, I used to do a lot of tent camping and we'll still cook outside a lot. At home here in FL my motto is "When its smokin' its cooking". I'm not a bad cook but our smoke alarm is so sensitive it goes off when the eggs are done!

Mare- We'll be in a lot of different states but I don't know when. Thanks for the invitation! If you guys on this site get together again, I'd like to go.

Snowmom-Hi, We should be able to keep in touch via laptop from time to time. You can bet I'll be moving my husband (and Schnauzer) to get to the computer when we have a hookup. Do you know if there is a place to e-mail photos to this site? and how its done?

One idea we've had is to go to small town type festivals and sell shredded BBQ turkey sandwiches and coleslaw, maybe chips. How does that sound? It would only be for a few months a year.

Thanks again to all

Miki

I have seen campers put out small wood signs where they camp. Like, "The Snapshotmiki's"

and underneath, "homemade Soaps available", or herbal shampoos available, or some such. I usually go to these people and buy. You could have a dollar store ( I believe in Dollar Stores!)supply of inflatable arm bands which cost 5 and 6 dollars in camp stores ! Of course the site needs to have a pool in that case. Anyway, some ideas.

Hi Fleefromit,

That's a great idea. I had considered rallies and events but not every day camping. I did read that I shouldn't put my name outside of my home because of bad guys who want to scare you into coming out in the middle of the night-they know your name so you would think it's a friend. But I'm sure I can come up with a name that will do well.

Thanks again

Mik

You are lucky to have the WalMart atlas. They don't seem to carry them anymore. I've been looking for them everywhere for over a year.

However smile.gif Both WalMart and Sam's have web sites where you can find information such as store locations, maps, type of store, hours, whether they have gas, pharmacy, etc. Gas is discounted. At WM, you have to go inside and purchase a card and then use it like a credit card at the pump.

There are a lot of Super WMs now that are open 24 hr and have parking lot security.

If you have a Sam's business membership, you can shop earlier than regular members (8 am instead of 10).

It does take a little time to surf to do your research, but stores are being added and upgraded. Once you work out your itinerary, you can check the cities along the way on the net.

quote:

Originally posted by ladyc:

You are lucky to have the WalMart atlas. They don't seem to carry them anymore.

My local WalMart has the 2003 edition. I would be more than happy to get it and mail it to you. (Cost is $5 + postage)

quote:

Originally posted by snapshotmiki:

Hi LadyC,

I didn't know that Walmart sold gas anywhere. Does Sams sell gas too?

When people ask where we're going I tell them we have a direction not a destination. West.

Miki

Miki, I didn't know that either until a friend told me last spring. Several WMs and Sam's have gas, but not all. I checked the web sites for all the points along our itinerary. On our trip of nearly 4000 miles, all but 2 fillups were at WM and S. And the price was 1.19 every time.

WM is usually located near an interstate exit and can be spotted as you are driving along. But I did need the directions for one. It was only a couple of blocks from the exit, but not visible.

I have used the overnight parking occasionally, and I usually needed a few items that I was happy to purchase in appreciation for the parking convenience.

Flying J is also an RV friendly business. I heard that Costco also has gas.

quote:

Originally posted by Midnightmom:

My local WalMart has the 2003 edition. I would be more than happy to get it and mail it to you. (Cost is $5 + postage)

Thanks MM. First I am going to check locally once more to see if they might have been waiting for the 2003 edition. Our WM just became a super WM with grand opening this week, so they may have the atlas now. I really thought they had abandoned the atlas for the web site.

Thanks again for the offer. I'll let you know. C