MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

More on the NanoMask

lilrose

On a previous post there were some questions raised about the NanoMask vs N95 which weren't really answered.

With respect to relative costs, keep in mind that with the NanoMask you're only replacing the actual filter, which is cheaper than throwing away an N95 mask and a LOT cheaper than throwing away an N100 mask.

Will the N95 mask provide you with protection?

My answer is a qualified yes.

Theoretically the H5N1 virus is a lot smaller than the pores on the N95 mask and therefore shouldn't be able to stop them, however the virus is normally carried by tiny spray droplets which in fact are too large to pass through the mask. That's why the N95 mask was effective in preventing many healthcare workers from contracting the SARS virus.

The NanoMask has the added advantage, however, that it actually kills the virus on contact. This prevents an accumulation to build up on the mask surface, which is a problem with almost all other masks.

Another area where the NanoMask shines is in the fit. Its plastic edge molds to the wearer's face snuggly preventing blow by, another common problem with other masks. It even fits children.

BTW, the shelf life is about to be raised to 2 years now that tests have been done on masks that are that old. The old standard of 1 year was the longest that could be claimed simply because the masks hadn't been around long enough to test beyond that benchmark. It's even conceivable that they will last 3 years or longer, but that won't be known for another year. The filters, after all, come in their own package and should maintain their integrity so long as the packaging remains intact.

The big problem right now with the NanoMask is that there just isn't any. The factory is working overtime trying to keep up with demand. So if you ordered today it could take 4 or 5 weeks before you received your product. Demand for this mask is staggering. I was told today that LA Homeland Security just ordered 5,000 masks and 25,000 filters.

Our strategy is to have both the N95 and the NanoMasks on hand. The N95 will be primarily used to hand out to others that we come into contact with who aren't wearing masks. The Nanos we'll save for our own use.

I should mention that I'm not entirely at arms length on this issue, as we promote the NanoMask on our website. But we do so because we have looked at what's available and firmly believe that it represents the best protection at the best value.

Welcome to MrsS, Julie! Why don't you come up to the Sunporch and introduce yourself so that you can be properly welcomed?

New members are always welcomed and we'd love to get to know you better!

I second Westbrook's thanks!! And yes, a warm welcome to you, Julie.

Very good information. The research I've done shows that the Nano is very good too.

I saw my doctor today and he said that I'm more prone to get bugs that come along and also, will have more trouble dealing with them. There are several in my household working outside the home in environments where they could possibly pick up some bug and bring it home. My doctor (who is more holistic in his approach) said the key is strengthening the immune system, but also (in my case) using a cool mist humidifier and a steam inhaler sold at Linens and Things (of all places!). He said the more humidity my breathing can take in, the better.

I asked him about Curcumin, Sambucus, Quercetin, colloidal silver, oregano oil, etc. and he said they're primarily very good for when you start feeling run down or like you're getting something. He said I should not take them long term of course. He said 1-2 grams of vitamin C is good and also, very high doses of A just during the flu season. Vitamin A can be toxic in high amounts so he said if I get nausea to just stop taking it and the levels will go down again. But he said it will strenthen my immune system so I can fight bugs better.

He said flu shots only help about 25% of people vaccinated, but they're a good idea for the sick and elderly who are most vulnerable.

My doctor thinks the Bird Flu is being superbly overblown in the media (and he's probably right to an extent) but he says in some ways it's good because lots of people are addressing the issue now.

Archived