MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

About canners?

grace

Ok just a few questions about canners

First I've been seeing some steam canners on ebay. Anyone used them? Are they any good? Also I'm thinking it's a replace ment for BWB canning yes? But the pics I've seen look like they have veggies in them, maybe they are pickled...

Also I have a small pressure canner it only takes pint jars. I really really need a larger one. I havent been able to find any in local stores so I'm thinking I'll have to go mail order from the US. I see lost on ebay in diffrent price ranges. Are there any brands that I should stay a way from?

Also wondering do any of you ever see them at thrift shops/yard sales? Everyone (online) tells me to look there but I've never seen anything like that around here! I was told that you can use a deep pressure cooker as a canner as long as you put a rack in the bottom. Is that ok to do if I can find one of those?

Thanks!!!

Kim

I bought both of my canner used. Try looking at estate sales. Usually, if an older person has died, the younger relatives don't want such things as canners. Older folks going into nursing homes have the same issues.

I've never tried to use a pressure cooker for a canner. The problem I see is that you don't have a way of regulating the pressure. One of my canners has a gauge, the other one has a weight that can be put into different positions for different weights. This is important because you have to can different things with different pressures. Also, if I am canning at my mom's house, I have to use a greater pressure than if I am at my house because she lives at a higher elevation.

Archived