MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canner Question

I was tossing around the idea of getting a pressure canner and while looking on Ebay I came across the All American 21 quart. The problem was the warning at the bottom of the description. They are "not recommended for use on glass top/flat ranges because their weight may cause the glass/ceramic to break. The diameter of the cooker/canner is also larger than most burners, and may cause heat to transfer outward and damage the surrounding surface." Is this true? Since I have a glass top stove does that mean all pressure canners are off limits?

Thanks for any input.

Although I don't have a glass cooktop, I've heard that it can break (and has broken), and I've also heard that it has been done successfully.

If you have a large propane burner, like those used for frying turkeys, you can use that for canning.

Just my opinion but, if it says it will break the cooktop, I think I'd believe them.

Ooooh. I'm thinking, 'I never even thought of that.' My DM has a glass top stove in her house in MI, where she cans all summer. She tried to can on it (maybe she's just lucky it didn't break), but the problem she had was that it wouldn't hardly heat the canner enough to get it up to pressure-it took FOREVER-and then she had a heck of a time keeping it up to pressure. So she put an old gas stove (propane) in the barn. She already had a bathroom out there, so she had easy access to water, and a refrigerator.

Also made DD extremely happy as it got the mess out of the house while he's trying to watch his golfing on TV and he doesn't have to run the AC triple-time. I'm hoping to do the same within a year or two. Have the refrigerator in the garage. Garden hose and a couple old deep sinks. All I need is the stove.

Necie

how to crack a glass top stove... turn burner on.. turn to sink to fill pot for pasta.. plast pot on burner.. CRACK!

Now where did I see the info on cooking on a glass top stove..

I use a propane burner from one of those turkey fryers. I love it! I can cook outside and keep my house cool in the summer.

I use a propane burner from one of those turkey fryers. I love it! I can cook outside and keep my house cool in the summer.

Westie YOU ARE WONDERFUL

After my last post, I was wondering what I would do if I had no electric or gas (we have natural gas in the house).

Well, now I know--we have a turkey fryer! And a couple years ago my DBF bought one of those cast iron propane 2-burners. I CAN CAN OUTSIDE.

We have a large propane tank for the dryer in the garage-there's no room in the house for it. (Yes, my house is that small ) And we have 2 small tanks for the turkey fryer and such.

So if it came down to an emergency, I would still be able to save my meat in the freezer. I don't HAVE to have a stove, but I still want one.

If you have space in the kitchen, a long hose on the tank, you could can in the kitchen But I have no a/c and it makes my house so hot.. and when it is canning season? mid to late summer!

I want a cast iron 2 burner stove.. but I end up with a propane stove which works.

One of my canners is sooo BIG it doesn't fit on my stove top. So I had to think of something.. the burner worked great!

glad I could help.. indirectly LOL!

Archived