MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bird flu in Nigeria

m0naj0

So the escape has begun, so to speak. Africa is one of the weaker countries as far as ability to contain and control it and as one of the major flyways, will most likely see more of it throughout the whole country. Where does it go from there? Which country is next? They can't stop the wild birds from migrating. Does anyone know where they go next?

I noticed they had a link for how to be prepared for the bird flu but it was a farce. It didn't even reccomend that masks be stockpiled as "they are not in short supply as Tamiflu is" How sad can you get. I'm sure they are trying very hard not to start a panic but It's so unfair to any country's people.

Bless Mrs. S and the other survival/preparedness sites out there. We may be considered kooks if none of this comes about but like the Y2K, we will at least be ready and if it does come about, be prepared to defend your supplies because the people who are calling us kooks now, will be calling ON us to take care of them then. I have a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach that it is just starting. I sure hope it's just something I ate

Here is another article found this a.m. This is a concern.

Source: UPI

WHO frets over bird flu spread in Africa

Date: Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:31:19 AM EST

LAGOS, Nigeria, Feb. 9 (UPI) -- The World Health Organization is concerned the first confirmed case of bird flu in Africa is the tip of the iceberg, and the H5N1 virus is more widespread.

The agency's Dr. David Nabarro told the BBC the virus "might be quite widespread," and the WHO was anticipating further outbreaks in other parts of Africa.

Experts have been sent to the commercial chicken farm in Jaji, in Nigeria's northern Kaduna state, where the bird flu was first found.

Nabarro said reports from Nigeria's Ministry of Agriculture suggested bird flu may also have been found in the northern state of Kano and further south in Jos.

"We've got to have all countries, particularly in West Africa, being very vigilant for bird die-offs, which are the indicator of bird flu being in the population," Nabarro said. "If it's in Nigeria it might also be in other countries that are less well-equipped."

Nearly 80 people, mostly in Asia, have died from contact with affected birds, and scientists fear the virus will mutate to become communicable among humans.

I belive we might both be on the same page Nana. I certainly hope this is just heart burn and not fear setting in!

Fear is not going to help, vigilance is. We have to be aware, and button up when the time comes as much as possible. I believe we will be fine as long as we don't let fear take over. We have the tools we need to evaluate the situation and some time to prepare. May God help us all.

You are absolutely right Lois. Fear is a wonderful motivator but it should not be allowed to take over or it will make you helpless. Vigilance is the perfect word. That and continuing to prepare to the best of our abilities.

I echo Lois. May God help us all!

Archived