MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Provisioning Lists...

Wheeler

Research Paths and Byways

Provisioning Lists

By Patricia Law Hatcher, FASG

How can we get more accurate images of our ancestor's lives? Probate inventories give us some idea of their possessions, but often with less detail than we would like. There is another record that gives an even more complete idea, at least for a limited time period.

During the earliest years of colonization in America, there was no infrastructure, no English civilized environment or mercantile structure. After arrival, it would take some time before the first crops could be harvested, and these would have to last until the next harvest. The settlers would, literally, have to create their own environment from scratch and supply it with items they brought with them.

To make it more likely that settlements would succeed, promoters prepared and circulated provisioning lists delineating all items that a family would need to bring with them. There are several such lists. I found an excellent presentation and discussion by David Cressey in the chapter called "Needful Provisions" in his book Coming Over. He focuses on early New England, but the items that made up a typical English household would have been very similar from one colony to another.

The lists included the cost of items and were annotated with adjustments that could be made by "the poorer sort." They were organized by categories and included all aspects of daily life: victuals (food), household implements (kitchenware), apparel, arms (for protection and for hunting), items for fishing and for building, tools (for building and for raising crops), and woodenware (which meant tools not made of metal). I've consolidated entries from several of the lists in the discussion below and consulted The Oxford English Dictionary for meanings of obsolete terms.

VICTUALS

One hogshead [a large barrel of 63 or more gallons] or eight bushels of meal one hogshead of malt, one hundredweight of beef, 100 pounds of pickled pork or 74 pounds of bacon, two bushels of peas, two bushels of oatmeal, one bushel of greats [grits], two dozen or one firkin [a small cask, about 1/4 barrel] butter, half a hundred cheese, two gallons of vinegar, one gallon aquavitae [ardent (inflammable) spirits such as brandy], one gallon of oil, two quarts mustard seed, half a hogshead of salt to save fish, and spices such as sugar, pepper, cloves, mace, cinnamon, nutmegs, and fruit. For fishing the should bring twelve cod hooks, two lines, one mackerel line and twelve hooks, and 28 pounds of lead for bullets and fishing lead. With what game they could shoot (you'll notice no mention of netting or traps), this would have to suffice a family of six for many months.

APPAREL FOR ONE MAN

Four or six pairs of shoes, one pair of boots, four pounds of leather to mend shoes, three or four pairs of Irish stockings, one hat, one Monmouth cap [the flat, round cap worn by soldiers and sailors], three falling bands [a band or collar worn around the neck], three or six shirts [varied between lists], one waist coat, one suit of frieze, one suit of cloth, one suit of canvas, twelve handkerchiefs (there is a note that for the poorer sort these may be of blue calico that in summer they could use for [head] bands), one sea cape or gown of coarse cloth, and "other apparel as their purses will afford." For each man there should also be one pair of canvas sheets, seven ells [an ell is 45 inches] of canvas to make a bed and bolster, and one coarse rug [bedcover].

HOUSEHOLD IMPLEMENTS FOR A FAMILY OF SIX

One iron pot, one great copper kettle, a small kettle, a lesser kettle, one large frying pan, a small frying pan, a brass mortar [for grinding spices], a spit, one gridiron, two skillets [footed kettles placed over the coals for cooking, not frying pans with handles], platters, dishes, and spoons of wood one list includes the comment "As for bedding, and necessary vessels for kitchen uses, men may carry what they have, less serving the turn there than would give contentment here." In other words, they should get by on less in the New World.

TOOLS OF VARIOUS KINDS

For a family, the suggested tools varied between one list and another, but included some of the following: six chisels, one wimble [a tool used for making holes] with six piercer bits, three gimlets [another tool for making holes], one or two hammers, two hatchets, three axes (one broad axe and two felling axes; another list suggests there should be two broad axes and five felling axes), two pickaxes, two steel handsaws, two handsaws, a whip saw, and a file and rest.

Items related to husbandry included three shovels and two spades (one list specified an English spade and steel shovel), three hoes (one broad hoe of nine inches and two narrow hoes of five or six inches; another list suggests there should be five broad hoes), two hand bills [a long staff with a hooked blade on the end], one wood hook, two frows to cleave pail [a frow was used to split the staves for barrels or pails off from a larger block of wood], two curry combs, a brand to brand beasts, a chain and lock for a boat, a coulter [the cutter on a plow for breaking turf] weighing ten pounds, a hand vise, a pitchfork, and a share.

Tradesmen should bring their own tools: "Other tools as men's several occupations require, as hand saws, whip saws, thwart saws, augers, chisels, frows, grindstones, etc." There were reminders that for building they should take nails of all sorts (one hundredweight of spikes, nails and pins), locks for doors and chests (three locks and three pair of fetters), gimmals [rings or hinges] for chests, and hooks and twists for doors.

WOODEN WARE

A pair of bellows, a scoop, a pair of wheels for a cart, a wheelbarrow, a great pail, a boat called a canoe with a pair of paddles [could be purchased in America], a short oak ladder, a plough, an axletree, a cart, a casting shovel, a shovel, and a lantern.

ARMS

One musket, rest and bandolier, ten pounds of powder, sixteen pounds of shot Six pounds of match [used to light and fire the musket], one sword, one belt, one pistol with a mould, one complete light armour, one long piece, one sword, one belt, one bandolier, twenty pounds of powder, sixty pounds of shot or lead, and one pistol and goose shot.

CAN YOU IMAGINE?

I began this review trying to imagine the household that was created by the settlers, but I must admit that I complete it wondering who packed all that stuff compactly for the voyage over!

RESOURCE

David Cressey, Coming Over: Migration and Communication between England and New England in the Seventeenth Century (Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, 1987). I borrowed it on Interlibrary Loan.

Patricia Law Hatcher, FASG, is an instructor, and professional genealogist. Her oft-migrating ancestors lived in all of the original colonies prior to 1800 and in seventeen other states, presenting her with highly varied research problems and forcing her to acquire techniques and tools that help solve tough problems. She is the author of Producing a Quality Family History.

Copyright 2006, MyFamily.com.

Guest Guest

That is awesome. Thanks SCMary! Useful not only for genealogy, but for my writing too (if I ever write a story that can use the info). I'm definately printing this.

~Jo

Thinking about how little the pilgrims had coming to the new world on ships and how little the pioneers had going west in wagons always amazes me. Sometimes it really helps me to put things into perspective and realize how much I HAVE. Can you imagine what they would have been able to do with what we have today? I do wish we had more of the practical knowledge and common sense that they had. The jack-of-all-trades sensability and all.

That article states that they should bring 2 bushels of peas and 2 quarts of mustard seed. Surely there were other seeds that they brought... what about beans and squash, etc? I believe it said oatmeal... do you think that might have been oat seed? My ancestors came into Philadelphia, PA in 1745, stayed there awhile then moved on to Augusta County, VA. After having a couple of babies there and losing Mama to childbirth they moved to Rowan County, North Carolina and stayed near a brother for awhile... then heard about that beautiful, fertile land in South Carolina and moved there. And I'm still here!!!

I just finally got around to coming into this forum and can't understand why I didn't do it before. Very interesting. My DD is doing our genealogy and we have found that our ancestors came into the Americas in the 1600's. It is facinating to think what all they might have brought with them. I'm with SCMary, who packed all this and where did they put it on a ship and after they got to America? If they had no place to live yet it must have been a terrific amount to try to protect. One thing that struck me was that Sugar was listed with the Spices!!!! The oatmeal was most likely rolled or ground oats as that would have been a staple at that time. (porridge perhaps)and the mustard seed would have been considered a staple also as it was used in a lot of things. I, too, am amazed of the abscence of seeds on the list though from my hultaculture experience I know that they brought it with them along with plants lovingly wrapped and tended. It's how many of our wild plants got here. Perhaps it was such a common thing that it would be assumed that they would bring them along?

Here's another list that might enterest some of you. This was what was required of Mormons going from Illinois to Utah in the mid 1850's (3000 went between 1856 and 1860 I understand, some even with hand carts!)I can't give you the source because I've had it many many years. You can take it with a grain of salt but I belive I got it from Nauvoo, Illinois where the Mormons lived.

Requirements for Mormons on their journey to Utah

1 strong wagon, well covered

2 or 3 good yoke of oxen, ages 4-10

2 or 3 good milk cows

1 or 2 good beef

3 sheep, if can be obtained

1000 pounds of flour or bread stuff in good sacks (wheat?corn meal ?)

1 bushel of beans (dried legumes)

100 pounds of sugar

1 good musket or rifle to each male over 12,1#powder,4#lead

1 pounds tea, 5 pounds coffee

A few pounds of dried beef or bacon

25 pound sack of whole grain

25-100 pounds farming and mechanical tools

Clothing and bedding per family, not to exceed 500 pounds

Cooking utensils, bake kettle, fry pan, coffee pot, tea kettle,

Tin cups, plates, folks, knives, spoons, pans, etc.

A few goods to trade with Indians

15 pounds iron and steel (for repairs?)

A few pounds of wrought nails

1 gallon alcohol

10 pounds apples, 5 pounds dried peaches, 25 pounds salt,

2 pounds pepper, 5 pounds soda, cayenne pepper,

1 pound cinnamon, 1/2 pound cloves

20 pounds soap

A good tent and furniture for each two families

1 or more sets of saw and gristmill irons to each 100 families

1 fish seine for each company, 4 or 5 hooks and lines

2 sets of pull(e)y blocks for crossing rivers to each company

2 ferry boats to each company

Each wagon to carry one ton without people or 2800 pounds with

them.

10 extra teams per company of 100

N.B. (?)-- In addition to the above list, horse and mule teams

can be used as well as oxen. Many items of comfort and

convenience will suggest themselves to a wise and provident

people and can be laid in season, but none should start without filling the original bill first.

Thanks for the great list SCMary I agreee with Jo, great fodder for a writer also. Somewhere I have a list of suggested items for the pioneer also. If anyone is interested.

Guest Guest
Quote:
Sugar was listed with the Spices

LOL! I did read somewhere last week that in the middle ages, at least, sugar was used sparingly like a spice because it was so costly; then it was gradually increased as it became less expensive. I can't remember where I saw that, but I think I was looking up canning at the time.
~Jo
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived