MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wholemeal recipes wanted.

Guest Guest

Me too! I thought, wow! This should be good, things that are a one-step preparation. Maybe we could start a new site anyhow? Hope you get your bread recipes!

Guest Guest

Here's one recipe that Homey shared with me years ago that we really love...it's a darker, sweeter bread and a nice change from regular bread:

Oatmeal Bread

1 pkg. active dry yeast

1 cup quick-cooking oats (I use regular oats - more fiber)

3 cups bread flour (I use 1 1/2c bread flour and 1 1/2c freshly ground wheat flour)

1 tsp. salt

½ cup molasses (I use ¼ C molasses and ¼ C honey)

1 Tbs. vegetable oil (I use flax seed oil from health store)

1-1/4 cups plus 1 Tbs. warm water

In bread machine pan, place ingredients in order given. Select “white bread” setting. Bake according to bread machine directions. Yield: 1 large loaf.

Here's a Farmer's Bread that I made yesterday:

Generous 1 1/3c warm water

1 package active dry yeast

2 1/4c bread flour

2 1/4c freshly ground wheat flour

1 1/2T nonfat dry milk

11/2t graulated sugar

2T butter

1 1/2t salt

Put ingredients into bread maker in order they are given. Set bread machine setting to basic white, normal setting, medium crust and press start. When finished, remove from baking pan and cool on wire rack.

Makes 1 large loaf.

Guest Guest

Yeah I have Williams Sonoma's bread machine and I'm pretty sure it's a 2lb capacity...have fun with your fresh ground wheat...I wouldn't trade it for the world...the store bought stuff tastes like sawdust anymore...

lol

Guest Guest

Once the red wheat is ground..

either let is set for 30 days to age or use a crushed Vit. C tablet or 1/4 teaspoon (big pinch) of ascorbic acid in your flour.

This will help let the air pockets form from the yeast's by-product of carbon dixiode. If not your bread may be more dense and heavy, not the usual light and airy texture the commercial brands have.

Archived