MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Interesting experience with surgical masks

5th graders mama

I recently asked a local pharmacist to get me some better quality surgical masks than the cheapo ones I get from the hospital supply. BOY, was I surprised when I got a box of "Nexcare Earloop Masks"... the box was labled Filters out 99% of wearer's exhaled bacteria

um... when did the sick person start being the one wearing the mask?

I went back to my hospital supply and they looked up those cheapo masks they've been selling me - they protect the wearer from inhaling bacteria.

Things that make me go hmmmmmmmm

Well there is also the fact that viruses are much smaller than bacteria. What did it say about virus filtration? I know in Dr's offices around here they provide masks for patients to wear if they think they might be contagious, and in Japan you wear a mask out of courtesy if you have a cold so you won't spread it. Interesting that they would label them for exhaled rather than inhaled protection!

Guest Guest

" Filters out 99% of wearer's exhaled bacteria" All that means is they can be used in surgery. Those filters have 2 way protection for both the patient and the medical personnel. They are also used in isolation situations.

They may be cheap but it doesn't mean they're no good. Sometimes more expensive doesn't mean greater efficacy. This is a case in point.

The masks I have cost me less than $5.00 for a box of 50, and I'm very confident in my purchase. Probably because they are very similar to those I wore as a surgical tech in the Air Force. The only difference is the color.

For me, it's a whole lot easier to throw away a good mask that costs less than 10 cents, than worry that I may or may not have time left on a very expensive filter.

I will order other masks for wearing outside my property but it will be a good NBC mask. I'm not going to fool around with knock-offs and rip-offs, considering the direction in which the world is headed.

If you don't feel confident with those for outside wear, I would like to suggest getting the N95 with the exhalation valve. You'll also need goggles, no matter which masks you choose. Just my .02

Quote:
The masks I have cost me less than $5.00 for a box of 50, and I'm very confident in my purchase. Probably because they are very similar to those I wore as a surgical tech in the Air Force. The only difference is the color.

What kind did you buy? Do you have a link? I bought hubby a 3m half face resperator for work (he fixes medical equipment in hospitals) with p100 filters. But I'd like to have a "backup" too.

Archived