MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Have you ever canned bacon

I have about 30 plus pounds bacon in my freezer that I would like to can. Has anyone done this??? What was the outcome???

I read, to cook about 3/4 done, roll in parchment, place in wide mouth jars and process.

Thanks for any help..

I tried it ONCE and the smell alone was enough to knock you down. BLECH!

I would suggest frying it normally, then crumbling and running it through a dehydrator. I was gonna do this, but figured that buying the big bag of this from Sam's was cheaper in the long run. But since you already have the bacon, you don't have to worry about that.

Guest Guest

Not much help here, I'm afraid... I never tried it because I wasn't sure I wanted the mess.

I know it can be baked instead of fried if you're doing a lot at one time.

Guest Guest
Quote:
Now we water bath it so DARLENE would not let us tell you how as it is a 'meat'? (ha,ha)?

You two are now REFORMED...remember?

NONONONONONONONO waterbath canning of meats...it is too dangerous and too serious to jeapordize someones life. That is why home canning has evolved so much over the years, and why the recommended pressures and processing times for meat are etched in stone. They have proven that under those pressure conditions, you can pretty much assure that your product is SAFE.

I'd rather have y'all safe.

Guest Guest

bacon is supposed to be smoked not canned! smoked it will last for years, canned.. I have not read anyone until now, AH says it is good, but all others have said it they opened the jar and put the lid back on and threw it away.

It was one of those pre 2yk things what end around. Did you find the recipe in the ball blue book? or a University or USDA site?

Build a smoke house! buy a side of hog or beef, turkey and smoke it!

Archived