MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tricks for canning on a ceramic-top stove?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie canner about to take the plunge. A few years ago hubby spent a fortune on a big beautiful pressure canner for me and its been sitting ever since in its box in the garage. I think I'm finally ready to deal with my fears and can something.

Guest Guest

angela!!!

Hi! we were all chicken canners at first! though I grew up canning... I never canned alone.. my first time I was so scared! what if I don't cook it long enough and it comes our runny... syrup! what if I cook it too long and it turns into candy! or what if I don't do something right.. no one was looking over my shoulder and no other activity in the kitchem saying... "how much longer... how long has it been whistling?" LOL! so you are not alone we all have the canning jitters at first.

about your top... I was at Wal-Mart and they had a Presto canner.. it said on the box.. "ok to use on flat top stoves' or something similar.

I have an all american and a standard top (electric) which I use my small canner on, and my big canner is used on a propane burner outside.

which model canner do you have?

Guest Guest

I started canning on a glass top stove and did many, many jars there. I now have a commercial gas stove and a monster canner so the work has stepped up a bit but the basics remain the same.

There will be a learning curve with how your canner will work with your stove and you'll just hafta fiddle with it to keep the pressure where it needs to stay, until you get that down pat. Read your instruction book that came with your canner, read the instructions for your stove that talk about canning on it to see if there are any special considerations you need to have, then go from there.

Depending on what you plan on pressure canning, the ingredients will go into the jars hot, or at the very least the liquid will go in hot, you'll wipe the rims of your jars clean before putting on the lids, you'll place the jars in your canner, close the top, bring the canner up to a high enough heat where steam will start pouring outta the release valve, you let the steam escape in a full stream for 7-10 minutes (depending on the type of canner you have), and that's when I put the weighted gauge on...I don't recall how the dial gauges work...I need to use one of my dial gauge canners again to remember the ins and outs of them. You process your jars for the appropriate amount of time, let the canner decompress till the dial gauge is back down to zero, open the lid, set your jars out on your counter on a towel but not touching each other so that air can circulate between them, and then wait for that wonderful sound of *PING*...

My children think I'm nuts cause when I start hearing the jars do that, I sometimes tell them that my jars are happy jars and are talking to me...*rolling eyes at self*

What can I say? I love canning and I believe in it with all my heart.

Archived