MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cherry jam

I'm not sure if this goes here, or in the "Preserving" forum, but here goes:

I've looked at those cherries on my 4 trees long enough! I want to make something out of them. I used to hate cherries but I've grown to like this kind. I'm going to be moving next year so I want to do as much with these as I can. Does anyone know of a good Cherry Jam recipe that involves just a stove?

These cherries, says my BF are sweet cherries. They're small (nickle sized), purple/black, and they have purple juice (I know because my shirt is stained LOL!) My landlord says they're "Brandy cherries" and she makes a wine out of them, but I'd like to make more of a jam/desert with them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Amanda

PS - I don't have a canner yet.

Hi Amanda!

Here's the last recipe I used for cherry jam:

4 cups prepared cherries

1/4 cup lemon juice

5 cups sugar

1 box pectin

Remove stems and pit cherries. Finely chop. Put measured cherries in a 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Add lemon juice. Stir in pectin. Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add to hot jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

The nice thing about putting up jam is that you don't need a big pot to process it. Anything that'll fit jelly jars will work! DO you have a large-ish pot that you use to cook up, say, spaghetti or something similar? If oyu do, use that...it'll fit quite a few jelly-size jars in it and you can boil water bath in that.

Have fun!! And good luck!!!

Shawna

Guest Guest

I am cheap and don't buy pectin... I prefer preserves..

here is what I use...

1 pound cherries

1 pound sugar

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon almond extact (gives the cherries some pazzaz!)

boil to gel stage, stir a lot so it doesn't burn. Water Bath can.

Also make canned cherries medium syrup so you can use them for a variety of things.

Dry cherries

Archived