MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kaye's Blackberry Jelly

Kaye

This is the recipe I've followed for the past 25 years to make blackberry jelly. It's never let me down.

Blackberry Jelly

5 cups blackberries

2 1/2 cups water

5 cups sugar

1 box Sure Jell

1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine

Rinse berries and get rid of stems and derbis. Put in pot with water. Boil slowly until berries are mushy and have turned red. Take off heat. Pour through jelly bag or thin cloth like cheesecloth. Let drip into tall container. I use the jelly making kit you can buy almost anywhere with the bag and the "legs" that hold the bag. Squeeze gently to get all juice.

Sterilize jars. Heat lids and seals. Measure juice to get 3 1/2 cups. If you don't have enough, cook more berries. Put juice in pot. Measure 5 cups sugar into bowl.Take out 1/4 cup sugar from measured amount in bowl and mix with 1 box Sure Jell in smaller bowl. Add Sure Jell mixture to juice. Add 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine.Stirring constantly, bring mixture to full rolling boil over high heat. Quickly add sugar. Bring to full boil again, stirring constantly. Continue boiling for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat. Skim off any foam immediately. Fill jars to 1/4 inch of top. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover quickly with lids. Screw bands on. Place in heated water on rack in a bath canner. After all jars are in, make sure there is at least 1-2 inches of water covering top of jars. Put on canner lid and process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and allow to cool and seal. Makes 6 (1/2 pint) jars.

Kaye

Archived