MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Black Cherry Concentrate

Stephanie

Hi y'all,

My mom talked me into going and getting some Black Cherry Concentrate, what do y'all know about it?

what I'm reading on the internet sounds good, but, you can't always believe what you read!

She is having me mix a tonic with it to try to dissolve kidney stones.

but what I'm reading is that this black cherry is more for uric acid stones, and thats not what I have. I have the calcium oxalate and the dr. just put me on a med/diuretic late last week.

Just wondering if anyone has any personaly experience or knowledge??

Stephanie

Black (wild) cherry bark (prunus serotina Ehrh.)is an herb well known for it's effeciency in treating lung problems. I use it in my winter cold and flu tea mixture. I'm not sure about the concentrate you are using so I can't tell you about that but you will find Wild Cherry Bark listed on the ingredients of many major cough drops and in many of the cough syrups also. It is on the U.S. Pharmacopeia accepted botanicals list and has been for decades.

The FRESH bark, leaves and seeds contain a cyanide-like glycoside, which converts (when digested)into the HIGHLY TOXIC hydrocyanic acid. The dried inner bark is safe to use. That said, it's possible to find the same substance in domestic cherries and other fruit pits. I have used the fruit for syrup and black/wild cherry jelly. The seeds are discarded of course.

I have never seen any information on using it for kidney stones so can't help you there. I know that some people use it for gout thinking it will help but I've seen no documented studies on that. It is said to be helpful for Cardiac palpitations when there is no underlying structural cause but the studies are few on that and I've not found it helpful in my own case.

The tonic probably will not hurt you if it's safely made but I'd be interested to hear if it helped the kidney stones.

Thanks y'all, for your input.

the healthfood store owner in my mom's town, told her this recipe and she passed it on to me.

3 oz of pineapple juice

3 oz tonic water

1 T black cherry juice

pinch of cinnamon

pinch of nutmeg

He said to drink this every night.

I started it last night, deciding it couldn't hurt anything, making sure I got unsweetened pineapple juice and diet tonic water.

Not sure if it will help the kidney stone, but did see lots of stuff about it helping osteoathritis??? so we shall see!

I'll tell you one thing...it sure does taste good! lol!

Stephanie

Archived