MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Veteran's Day

Stephanie

I'm proud to be an American and so thankful to the soldiers who have fought to defend my freedom.

Many of my relatives have served and I have dear friends serving now. But I'd like to especially honor my grandfather who fought in WWII. He was in a fox hole in Germany reading a French novel when he received word that my mother was born, he sent word back "Name her Genevieve". Although the family had never heard of such a name my grandmother honored his request. My mom was nearly 18 months old before she ever saw him. He received a Purple Heart and fought proudly. He was also like a daddy to me and it broke my heart when we lost him 20 years ago.

Just wanted to share.

Stephanie

What a cool story! It is an honor to remember all of those brave men and women who have selflessly served their country.

I hope that people are recording these memories from the wars. Email has replaced hand written letters, and so many memories are being lost. There are not many old soldiers left from the WWII era.

I always think of how many gave so much. My father was too young to serve in WWII but his 2 older brothers and his father (my grandfather) did. I am proud of them all for doing their part. My grandfather was too old and had 4 children, but he was intent on serving. He had to use a fake birth certificate to get in. We hear about so many who were too young lying about their age, so his story is a little different.

Archived