MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How to safe an old photo?

Karen

I have a few old photos that have pieces of other photos stuck to them. Does anyone know a good way to get the stuck paper off without damaging the original photo? I was wondering if I took a damp sponge to the piece and carefully scraped or rubbed it off would that work? I'm trying to salvage as many of these photos as I can, I'm restoring most with the help of my computer. This picture is one I'm talking about.

123145-KellyWillisH.jpg

Karen, I have never tried that, but if you do, I'd take a picture that you could copy first and then try it. I have no idea how to do it.

I know that I have pictures that were in one of those albums with the plastic pages and the plastic didn't let go or the paper under them didn't want to let go.

Like I said, I would try it on one that I had scanned first, and only a small spot even then to make sure it would work.

Good luck. Oh, if it works, please let us know. thhugdfrommetouanimals-2.gif

Hi! I mostly lurk and learn. Don't have much to add except nodding in agreement - or amazement. This time I can add a tip. I've had good luck putting stuck pages or stuck photos in the freezer for a few days. The "frost-free" freezers work best but the freezing should dry out the "stuckedness". Good luck.

...Cjoi

Karen,

I do a lot of scrapbookking and am always reading articles about photos. I think I remember that there is a product on the market to do this job. If there is a scrapbook store in your area you could check with them. I got the following list from the back of a magazine. It doesn't list Archivers and they have several stores nationwide, too.

Scrapbook Creations Spartanburg 864-597-0036

Scrapbook Heaven Lexington 803-358-2241

Scrapbooks By The Sea Surfside Beach 843-232-0033 Pawleys Island 843-235-9909

Scrapping at the Beach Myrtle Beach 843-626-7073

Snowmom, I'm sure you're right...just barely damp would probably be ok.

Karen, I'm interested in what type of program you use on your computer to repair the photos.

I've attached a quick repair job I did on your photo using Adobe Photoshop Elements.

You did GREAT PoGo. That turned out sooooooo goooooood. th79-1.gif for sharing this with us.

Now, what is Adobe Photoshop, and is it free and where do you get it. We have Adobe, but never heard of the Adobe Photoshop.

Thanks, zinger & Snowmom.

Adobe Photoshop Elements is a software program made for working specifically with photos. No, it is not free.

Mine is just the elements version. Adobe also has some spiffy, pricey versions that have more "bells & whistles".

It kinda seems like our Pixie uses Adobe Photoshop to make the siggys, not for sure about that though.

• 2 weeks later...

PoGo that is soooo good! You made her hair look like it's supposed to! I used to have Adobe Photoshop and somewhere in all the moving we've done I've lost or misplaced it(Still holding out hope that it will appear somewhere.) I'm using Adobe Photo delux right now, but it won't let me save as a .jpeg. I just downloaded a program my brother the computer programmer told me about called GIMP. It's got a lot of bells and whistles I haven't figured out yet but it does look interesting. Mostly I'm using the clone feature to restore these photos, trying to cover water stains, holes, tears and creases. I'm going to buy some new alums to replace the ones that are in pieces I've been given. I plane on keeping all the originals and make new ones of the restored photos. I'm going to try that freezer idea, it sounds workable.

Archived