MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

zucchini pickles

preparing

In the Ball Blue Book there is a recipe for Zucchini Pickles. It says to use 3 cups vinegar. Is that red or white vinegar? Has anybody made these and how do they taste? Zucchini Relish has cider vinegar, how does this taste? Also, Zucchini Bread And Butter Pickles, 3 cups vinegar, is that red or white vinegar? There is a recipe for Squash Pickles where you have to peel, seed, and cut. Is this worth making and it also does not say white or red vinegar.

I always assume that it's white vinegar unless it states otherwise. Just make sure that if you use red-wine vinegar that it has the minimum 5% acid content. White & cider vinegar both have the 5% acidity but I find cider to be a bit stronger tasting. My pickeled beets recipe calls for white vinegar and my pepper jelly calls for cider vinegar. But I'm sure that they could be interchanged quite safely because of the acid content. It's just the flavor that would change.

Again, make sure that if you use red wine vinegar that it has the minimum acid content.

Archived