MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wheat Free Pie Crust

I was asked to post this Wheat free pie crust here...it is an adaption of a Betty Crocker regular pie crust recipe. It uses Bette Hagman's GF Flour mix.

Here is the Judy Crocker Pie Crust, hee hee

2 2/3 cups Bette Hagman's mix

1 tsp salt

1 packet of unflavored gelatin

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 cup shortening (I use butter flavor Crisco)

OR you can use..3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lard

7 to 8 tablespoons cold water

Bake as directed in your recipe. This recipe is for a 10-inch two crust pie

Measure dry ingredients and mix. Cut in shortening thoroughly. Sprinkle in water, and mix until moistened and pastry can be shaped into a ball. Cut in half. Use a pastry cloth to roll out the crust. Gluten-free crust is easily broken so it's hard to get it into the pie plate in one piece. I slip my arm underneath it..yes my arm! And flip it onto the pie plate. If it breaks, and it probably will, use a little water on your fingers to mush it together or to patch it. These crusts don't look as pretty as regular ones, but they taste great. The gelatin in it is for "glue" to help keep it from falling apart.

They don't brown as well as traditional crusts, so you need to keep an eye on the pie or whatever.

If you are making turkey or chicken pot pie, add 2 teaspoons of celery seed to the crust...yummy. My family eats this because otherwise, I would have to make 2 dinners, LOL

Archived