gardnmom

Arnica

(Arnica montana)

Nice picture here:

http://en.heilkraeuter.net/herbs/arnica.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Info here:

http://www.kcweb.com/herb/arnica.htm

Arnica is also commonly called leopard's bane. The arnica plant has a bright yellow, daisy-like flower that blooms around July. Preparations made from the flowering heads have been used in homeopathic medicine for hundreds of years. It is popular in Germany and over 100 drug preparations are made from the plant. Arnica is a perennial that is protected in parts of Europe.

The active components in arnica are sesquiterpene lactones, which are known to reduce inflammation and decrease pain. Other active principals are thymol (an essential oil), flavonoids, inulin, carotenoids and tannins.

Arnica works by stimulating the activity of white blood cells that perform much of the digestion of congested blood, and by dispersing trapped, disorganized fluids from bumped and bruised tissue, joints and muscles.

Arnica is known to stimulate blood circulation and can raise blood pressure, especially in the coronary arteries. The plant is used externally for arthritis, burns, ulcers, eczema and acne. It has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities that can reduce pain and swelling, improving wound healing.

Part Used: Extract of the blossoms

Common use: It is typically rubbed on the skin to soothe and heal bruises, sprains, and relieve irritations from trauma, arthritis and muscle or cartilage pain. Applied as a salve, arnica is also good for chapped lips, irritated nostrils and acne.

Care: Grows in moist, sandy soil with adequate drainage. Likes full sun.

Toxicity: The internal use of Arnica is not suggested. It can cause vomiting, weakness, increased heart rate and nervous disturbances.

I would be leery of using arnica in this form on my lips as it can be toxic even in those small doses. Using it on the skin as a salve is very effective though. Just remember that it can also be absorbed into the body in that form also. The skin is a very effective pathway for meds, even herbal and a toxic dose can be acquired that way.

This is definitely a wonderful product used as an homeopathic though, which is a greatly diluted form. You can get an arnica homeopathic gel for use on bruises, muscle sprains and strains,etc and it definitely helps with pain.

We brought this to the hospital when my Dad was in therapy. He had accidentally been dropped by the aids and was badly bruised. (not happy either I might add!) His doctor was at that point ready to let us do whatever we wanted with Dad rather than have us sue the hospital and let us bring in the arnica gel. He was amazed to watch the bruises fade within a 24 hour period and saw how much it helped with the pain. He actually used it on himself and now that doctor uses this preparation for most of his patients. I got a personal note of thanks for bringing it to his attention. It really does work.

Im a huge fan of Arnica, I buy the cream for my familys various bonks and bruises, it really helps! I have also taken the homeopathic pill form for post surgery (the hospital didnt know or Im sure they would have made a fuss), but I wasnt on any meds except pain meds at the time.

I healed so fast they sent me home 2 days early, and my skin grew over the staples before they could get them out!

I have even heard of people giving Arnica (homeopathic form)to their dogs that were recovering from being hit by a car or other surgery, they say they had wonderful results as well. AM.

Archived