MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question about saving seeds

preparing

Depends. A way late maturing tomato is usually not a desireable trait to keep. But if you want THAT particular tomato, take the nicest, roundest, largest couple of tomatoes you have, put them in a plastic bag on the kitchen window sill.

Fold the top open, so they can breathe, and let them ripen almost to rotting. Tomato seeds have to 'over-mature' to break down the tough bright green gelatinous seed covering surrounding them.

It will be a stinking mess, with white mold and black virus spots. Thats another reason to ferment the seeds. It [the fermentation] disables the virus'es that could infect next years seeds.

Test the seeds between your fingers. When they slip the gelatin mass,...rub all of them, wash under cool water in a strainer and lay on a towel to dry.

When dry, place in an envelope and label as to kind, and any other info you want to remember. A lot of people use a bit of sicilla crystals to prevent moisture gathering.

The very best tomato to keep the seeds from,...is the first one ripe. That is how you acclimate your seeds to your weather micro-climate. Your personalized tomato!!!

Thank you. These are not my favorite tomatoes or anything. I just decided I would save them since they are heirloom and I may need them. Also, I want the practice of saving seeds. I may plant 1 next year just to see how they are. If I put them in the freezer, how long will they last?

Archived