MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning WITH Juice

YYY

Hi Everybody,

I was given 6 mangoes and decided to can them. In case anyone is interested, I found a canning recipe for them at: http://www.pickyourown.org/mangos_canning.htm. It suggested that I could use white grape juice to can them. About a month ago I canned pears with apple juice.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a rule of thumb about what fruits to can with apple juice? How about with white grape juice? How do I know which to use?

2. Today I used store-bought white grape juice. Can I can the left over juice? Boiling water method? Pressure Canning method? Should I freeze instead?

Thanks,

YYY

It is just a matter of personal taste which one to use. I like the sweetness of apple juice. Also, the white grape juice is good, though, if you want the fruit to be lighter in color, like with pears.

Yes, you could process the juice along with the mangoes in same canner if you have room. It would just need a boiling water bath, not pressure canning. Freezing works well, too. I usually keep some frozen for adding to jams.

Normally juice is processed for 10 min. if you use clean, hot jars, and only 5 min. if you boil the jars to sterilize them first before filling. I just chose to be lazy and process for the 10 min.

Hi Violet,

Thanks for answering. I’m glad you said that it’s a matter of personal taste. I really like apple juice. White grape juice is a little too tart for me. I tasted the mangoes this morning. They seem to have taken on the tart taste of the white grape juice. I’m glad I only had the 6 mangoes. Next time I’ll use apple juice.

Thanks again,

YYY

Archived