MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Instead of bread...eat wheat.

I buy wheatberries from the feedstore, and then I soak and pressure-cook them til just tender, and then I dehydrate them. All I have to do, when I want some, is to toss them into a simmering stew or soup. Or into stock or tomato juice for a side dish. Or into sweet milk for breakfast. I also sometimes soak a handful and throw it into the bread machine, along with the makings of an ordinary loaf, for a nice chewy bread.

Another name for the cooked and dried wheat berries is bulgur (also called bulghur). There must be more than a hundred ways to use it, much like one would use rice...

The nicest part about it, is that it requires no cooking; just rehydration in any kind of liquid, such as soups, stews or plain water. In really hard times, when fuel may be scarce, or a low profile situation is necessary, bulgur will shine as a nutrient dense food! Its faintly nutty flavor goes with just about anything.

Tomorrow, I go to the co-op to pick up my order of 150 pounds of cracked bulgur wheat, which is wheat that has been cooked, dried and cracked, for even faster rehydration.

Yikes! The bulgur wheat prices skyrocketed overnight. It went from $55.50 for 150 lbs to $82.50.

I'll be storing some in FoodSaver packages, some in 5 gallon buckets, and some will be used in my regular meals, much like what Susie does...it tastes great tossed into Jambalayas and Gumbos, too!

Archived