MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Questions about Black Eye Peas/Beans

YYY

Hi Everybody,

I am cooking a big pot of black eye peas with Ham. I’d like to can the leftovers. Since they’ll already be cooked, how long will I have to process them? Do I need to Water Bath or Pressure Can them? Will they turn out mushy because I’m cooking them and then processing?

Thanks,

YYY

You will still need to bring it all to a boil, then pressure can for the full processing time.

It cannot be safely water bathed.

Process pints for 75 min. quarts 90 min. at 11 lb. dial gauge canner, 10 lb. weighted gauge, unless you need to adjust for higher altitude.

You could freeze them, too.

Hi Violet,

Thank you for answering and for the information. For some reason I thought that since they were already cooked that the processing time would be different. Do you know if they will be mushy since I cooked them first?

Thanks again,

YYY

They will be soft, but when I can any dried beans they turn out soft, too. It just depends upon how soft you like them whether you want to can yours.

The reason they are processed for the full time isn't to cook the food, but it is because it takes a certain length of time for each food to fully destroy spoilage bacteria and get a true vacuum seal.( The time it takes has been tested in labs.)

Hope this helps.

Archived