MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Beef Stew

huronscoot

I just got back from Walmart where I was found beef stew meat for 2.65 per pound. Of course I can't find by Blue Book. Could someone please post a beef stew recipe? Or any other good recipe for stew meat. I got 12 lbs in the fridge and I have to process it tonight as I have to work tomorrow. Thanks in advance

If you want some plain, here is the info:

Strips, Cubes or Chunks of Meat

Bear, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Sausage, Veal, Venison

Procedure: Choose quality chilled meat. Remove excess fat. Soak strong-flavored wild meats for 1 hour in brine water containing 1 tablespoon of salt per quart. Rinse. Remove large bones.

Hot pack – Precook meat until rare by roasting, stewing, or browning in a small amount of fat. Add 1 teaspoons of salt per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with pieces and add boiling broth, meat drippings, water, or tomato juice, especially with wild game), leaving 1-inch headspace.

Raw pack – Add 2 teaspoons of salt per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with raw meat pieces, leaving 1-inch headspace. Do not add liquid.

Adjust lids and process pints 75 min. quarts 90 min., (use ll lb. dial gauge canner, 10 lb. weighted gauge)

Beef Stew

Makes about 7 (32 oz) quarts or 14 (16 oz) pints

You will need:

4 to 5 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes

1 Tbsp vegetable oil

12 cups cubed and peeled potatoes (about 12 medium)

8 cups sliced carrots (about 16 small)

3 cups chopped celery (about 5 stalks)

3 cups chopped onion (about 4 small)

1-1/2 Tbsp salt

1 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp pepper

Water

7 (32 oz) quart or 14 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:

1.) PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

2.) BROWN meat in oil in a large saucepot. Add vegetables and seasonings to browned meat. Cover with boiling water. Bring stew to a boil. Remove from heat.

3.) LADLE hot stew into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.

4.) PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds weighted gauge, 11 lb. dial gauge. pressure 1 hour and 15 minutes for pints and 1 hour and 30 minutes for quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Archived