MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Update: Powdery Stuff & FoodSaver

YYY

Hi Everybody,

Back in January, I wrote about having trouble vacuum sealing jars of powdery stuff (pancake mix). I couldn’t get them to seal for longer than a couple of hours. This is the original thread:

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...true#Post181888

Not too long after I posted the above, I read the following:

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=277593 entry #7 by rhealady

It has now been approximately 2 months since I used RheaLady’s method. (I also put rings on each jar) Every jar sealed and every seal has lasted. I am very, very pleased. I wanted to let y’all know about this.

I hope this helps

YYY

Powdery foods such as flour and regular dry milk can be a real chore to vac-seal, but it can be done.

This is the method that I use. First, leave extra headspace. I like to leave at least a full inch of headspace for powdery foods. Once the jars are full use a lightly dampened cloth to wipe off the jar rim and inside the throat of the jar down to the bottom of the threads. I heat my lids as well in very hot water. Wipe each one dry just before you put them on the jar. The residual heat in the lid will quickly dry any clinging moisture. Vac-seal as per normal from this point.

To keep dust out of the vacuum lines I line the sealer adapter with a doubled over piece of paper toweling or coffee filter so that the air being pumped out has to pass through it before it reaches the line.

I always wait a week or so after sealing powdery foods before putting them away. Every once in a while I'll have a failure with flour, regular dry milk, pudding mix, or confectioners sugar, usually because I didn't clean the jar top well enough.

.....Alan.

Hi again everybody,

I just realized that I forgot to say that after using Rhealady's method, I then vacuum sealed the jars like I usually do.

Alan, thanks for the new information. Like you, I also waited for some time to be sure that the seals were working before I put the pancake mix away. I'll try your method next time.

Still Survieving, you're welcome. I hope that either Rhealady's or Alan's method will work for you.

YYY

Archived