MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Grain mill question...

In other words...please help! Yesterday I bought a mill while at a thrift store. A woman brought it in while I was there and I bought it right away, soon as it was priced. This is an antique, very good shape, the mill, stand, and bagful of "parts". It a Universal, the only other markings are "2", and on the handle "LP&O New Britian, Conn. USA". I've done a search and have found nothing that looks like this one. Does anyone have any idea of what I have? Hubby was thrilled with the 10.00 price on it, we figure it could be worth its weight in gold if we can figure out how to use it! Thanks so much for any ideas ya'll may have!

Thanks Alan! It looks similar to the bottom photo, the square looking feed, its very heavy cast and the handle is quite curvy and much wider. It also has a footed stand to clamp onto.

What me? Post a photo? I'm the original computer bimbo, but will work on that! Not the bimbo part, the posting photo part! Thanks again for your help!

Alan,

For those of us who know nothing about them, could you explain about the two photos you've posted please? I've seen a few of the first photo for sale, but don't know if they're good or what they are used for.

Thanks!

The first one is a Universal grain mill which is pretty much identical to a Corona mill. In fact I have one marked with both Universal and Corona. It was designed as a corn mill and does well for that job, less so as a wheat flour mill though with sifting and regrinding it can be done.

The second mill is a Quaker City. It's also a steel burr mill though it will grind somewhat finer than a Corona. It isn't very common any more, possibly due to its higher price. In fact I could only find one vendor selling the mill when I went looking for photos though there may be others that I didn't come across.

I suspect what KatieKat has isn't a Quaker City though, but another grinder altogether, possibly one that isn't in production any more. A photo would help a lot.

.....Alan.

Archived