MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning beef & vegetable soup - can I do it this way?

Aggie

On Sunday, I cooked a huge pot roast with potatoes and carrots because I was expecting my children and grandchildren for lunch. As it turned out, they didn't come so I had a bunch left over, which I froze.

What I'd like to do is thaw it and add veggies (tomatoes, corn, beans, etc.) to make a beefy vegetable soup, then pressure can it in quarts. Would this be safe?

Thanks in advance for any advice. smile

It is safe as long as you follow the guidelines here :

Soups

Vegetable, dried bean or pea, meat, poultry, or seafood soups can be canned.

Caution: Do not add noodles or other pasta, rice, flour, cream, milk or other thickening agents to home canned soups. If dried beans or peas are used, they must be fully rehydrated first.

Procedure: Select, wash, and prepare vegetables, meat and seafoods as described for the specific foods. Cover meat with water and cook until tender. Cool meat and remove bones. Cook vegetables. For each cup of dried beans or peas, add 3 cups of water, boil 2 minutes, remove from heat, soak 1 hour, and heat to boil; drain.

Combine solid ingredients with meat broth, tomatoes, or water to cover. Boil 5 minutes.

Caution: Do not thicken. Salt to taste, if desired. Fill jars halfway with solid mixture. Add remaining liquid, leaving 1-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process following the recommendations pints 60 min. Quarts 75 min.

If soup contains seafood, then can for 100 min.

Use 11 lb. dial gauge, 10 lb. weighted gauge canner.

You are welcome. Homecanned soup is so nice to have for a quick meal. I am sure it will be wonderful. Hmmm, maybe some nice homemade bread to go with that would really be tasty !

My daughter called me to see if I needed anymore homemade bread. I thought that was so nice of her.

Archived