MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Horse Heaven

TechMom

We normally focus on human happenings in this forum, but I just had to say a little prayer and God speed for Eight Belles. I'm sure she's up there running around with Barbaro, Ruffian, Go For Wand, and George Washington. (and all of the other, lesser known horses that have given their lives for our pleasure.)

Call me soft, but I can no longer watch races when I'm praying the whole time that all of the horses come back unhurt, which they often don't. The American Thoroughbred has devolved into a fragile, drug and hormone supported shadow of its former self - it's tragic. So if Big Brown turns out to be the first triple crown winner in 30 years, I'll have read about it - can't watch anymore.

Thanks for listening.

I had the horror of watching a racehorse break it's leg in a race a few years ago when our family went with my DH's grandma to watch their horse race. It broke it's leg in the final stretch right in front of us and screamed. It was horrific and I'll never be able to watch another race without thinking about that poor horse.

My heart broke for Eight Belles today!

My heart was broken when I read about it too. I can't watch the races either. When it comes to animals I'm very soft hearted. I can't stand to see them hurt. I couldn't even stand to be in the same room when my dog would get her shots.

Archived