MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing Dry Food

I have a couple questions about storage of dry food. I've been using my Pump-N-Seal and vacuum packing things like dried beans, lentils, and rice in 1/2 gallon mason jars. So far they all seem to be holding their seals.

However, I also have some 1-gallon glass jars with large metal lids (I think they're made by Anchor Hocking?) that I wish I could seal---but there's no rubber gasket to create a seal. I've used one of these for the rice I'm currently using (as opposed to long-term storage). I put a piece of waxed paper inside the lid to help it form a tighter seal, but there's no vacuum, of course. I'd like to use some of these for long-term storage, but I'm not sure what to use it for---sugar maybe? I have a number of these jars and would appreciate any suggestions about what I might be able to keep in them for long-term storage.

Another question has to do with things that come packaged in plastic containers---for example, the spices in large plastic containers that I buy at Costco. Do you think it's better to leave these, undisturbed, in their plastic containers or to empty them into a mason jar that I can vacuum seal with the Pump-N-Seal? These are spices that I haven't opened yet, backups for the ones I'm curently using.

Thanks for any and all ideas you all might have.

I have several of those type of jars also. I put flour, beans and sugar in them. They are the first ones I use out of and when empty I buy more and refill them. This way I don't have to open a bucket. I keep my spices in the original container, but I have been thinking I need to vacuum seal them, not sure tho. Hope this helps.

wormie

John

Good ideas for using the 1-gallon glass jars. I still wonder about dry things that are in flimsier packaging---like spices in plastic containers, bread crumbs in lightweight cardboard packaging, Kraft macaroni & cheese (my daughter's favorite), cake mixes, etc. I've always thought that keeping them in original packaging was best, at least until opened, but I'm reevaluating. Another option for the mac & cheese and cake mixes would be to put them in some square food grade plastic buckets I have---about 4 quart size, I think---which might give extra protection against an invasion of pests, but wouldn't seal them or anything for freshness.

Genoa,

Here is a little "trick" you can do to make your 1 gallon glass containers airtight.

On a CLEAN jar, apply a thin coat of vasoline (or cooking oil/lard, etc.) the top edge plus the inside and outside of the threaded part of the jar. Next, take some silicone adhesive and put about a 1/4" diameter bead on the lid where the side of the lid and the top meet.

This part will take some experimenting to get right.

Next, put the cap on the jar, but only screw it down until the silicone has compressed to about 1/8" thick. What you want for an end result is an even gasket about 1/8" thick that does not extend down into the threads on the jar (this may cause the gasket to tear/pull loose when opening/closing the jar). The gasket should sit flush with the top of the jar. Careful use of a single edge razor blade or a #11 Exacto blade will let you trim any silicone that extends down into the threads.

Set the jar aside for 24 -48 hours.

Now you can remove the cap and clean the vasoline/oil/lard off the jar with warm water and soap.

The silicone forms a "custom made" gasket and the vasoline/oil/lard prevents it from sticking to the jar while curing. Let the silicone cure for about 14 days (to get rid of any lingering odor) before using.

This "gasket" will hold up for multiple openings/closings PROVIDED you keep the container in a cool dark environment so the heat/sun doesn't cause the silicone to adhere to the glass.

Use oxygen absorbers to remove the oxygen left in the jar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, Campy. I'm going to have to try this, after I get some silicone adhesive.

If it will make a seal, then I can use my Pump-N-Seal on it--I just have to puch a small hole in the top, cover it with a one-way tape seal, and pump out the air. Won't even need to buy any oxygen absorbers.

I'm bumping this up to see if anyone has any thoughts on the self-adhesive replacement seal that I gave a link for above. It seems like, if it would work, it would make a simple way to create a seal in my odd-sized glass jars. (I would have to punch a small hole in the top and use my Pump-N-Seal to vacuum pack it.

Do you think it would be worth getting some and giving it a try?

Genoa, I am not sure if that will work or not (I have my doubts). I think the seal is going to bunch up trying to follow the curvature of the inside of the lid, plus, unless you are quite good, there is going to be a small gap where the ends meet.

If you have some of this material, try it on an empty jar, then pull a vacuum on the jar. If the vacuum is still good the next day you are all set.

Let us know.

Hmm, didn't think about where the ends meet---doubt I could get it tight enough. If I had it on hand, I'd try it, but I'd have to order some. Probably should just go with the tried-and-true method you described. Thanks.

Archived