MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vitamins are Important!

Last semester in nursing school, they were really imparting on us the need to educate the public on the importance of vitamins for the body to heal itself.

I always treated Vitamin Supplements as cheap insurance when I wasn't truly eating for my best health. That is, until I kept reading about how our Multi Vitamins were just ending up in the sewer...whole.

Anyway, I found one of my study sheets, and I thought I would share it with you lovely people...

darlene

Where/Why to naturally get our vitamins:

Fat Soluble Vitamins are stored in the body.

Water Soluble Vitamins have to be replenished daily.

A – (Retinol, Retinal, Retonic Acid) FAT SOLUBLE

Sources: Dark Green and Yellow/orange Veggies: i.e. broccoli, carrots, winter squash, sweet potatoes, also: liver, egg yolk, breakfast cereals, dairy, margarine, fortified milk, peaches, apricots, cantaloupe

Function: Better vision in dim light, formation and maintenance of skin and mucous membranes, normal growth and development of bones and teeth.

B1: (Thiamine) WATER SOLUBLE

Sources: Pork, organ meats, liver, enriched and whole grains, eggs, nuts, dried peas, dried beans.

Function: Energy metabolism (especially of CARBS), normal nervous system functioning, protein and fat metabolism.

B2: (Riboflavin) WATER SOLUBLE

Sources: Dairy products, eggs, organ meats, enriched grains, leafy green veggies

Function: Other metabolic functions = carbohydrate, protein, and fat metabolism.

B12: (Cyanocoblamin) WATER SOLUBLE

Sources: Found almost exclusively in animal products.

Function: Builds genetic material. Helps form Red Blood Cells.

C: (Ascorbic Acid) WATER SOLUBLE

Sources: Citrus fruits and juices, brussel sprouts, broccoli, green peppers, strawberries, tomatoes, cabbage, greens, guava

Functions: Collagen formation, protection of other nutrients from oxidation, enhancement of iron absorption, conversion of folic acid into its active form, metabolism of certain amino acids.

D: (Cholecalciferol Ergosterol) FAT SOLUBLE

Sources: Sunlight, liver, egg yolk, fish-liver oils, breakfast cereals, margarine, butter, fortified milk

Functions: Metabolism of calcium and phosphorus, stimulation of calcium absorption, mobilization of calcium and phosphorus from bone.

E: (Tocopherol) FAT SOLUBLE

Sources: Veggie Oils, wheat germ, whole grain products

Functions: Stimulation of reabsorption of calcium and phosphorus by kidney, protection of Vitamin A and polyunsaturated fatty acids from oxidation, maintenance of cell membrane integrity, Heme synthesis (heme + globin = hemoglobin)

K: FAT SOLUBLE

Sources: Dark-green leafy veggies, cabbage: produced by the enteral bacteria in the intestines.

Functions: Synthesis of proteins needed for blood clotting.

Archived