MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Heads Up: New Book on James, Jellies, etc. out

Tiger

I popped into Borders at lunch on Friday and spent way too much money. I only went in for the new issue of Inspirations magazine, but made the mistake of checking to see if any new canning books had arrived for this season. Yep, there's new one:

175 Best Jams, Jellies, Marmalades & other Soft Spreads by Linda J. Amendt. Published by Robert Rose, Inc. (2008). Linda Amendt is also the author of Blue Ribbon Preserves (which I also own a copy of). Cost at Borders was $21.95.

There are a lot of the typical plain jam recipes. But, and this is why I bought the book, there are quite few of blended jams, etc., comprised of 2 or more fruits, as well as chapters on "Savory Spreads" and "Drunken Spreads". The Drunken Spreads sound absolutely yummy. I used to make a very good Peach Rum jam, but lost the recipe so I know that adding alcohol to fruit can really boost the taste. The recipes include:

Cherry Brandy Jam (wouldn't this be good on chocolate cake?)

Orange Grand Marnier Jam

Pineapple Rum Jam

Strawberry Daiquiri Jam

Strawberry Margarita Jam

Pina Colada Jelly

There's also interesting non-alcohol recipes such as Salsa Jamand Three Onion Marmalade.

Gonna be trying out some of these new fancy recipes soon. I'll report back on my tests. :cocktail:

Yum! I have the second book, the 'Blue Ribon' one and it looks fabulous but intimidating. I am going to make the jams she has printed. Did you make any of the recipes from the new book?

Sounds like you are going to make some yummy stuff. wink

Archived