MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Large Families

Stephanie

I am someone who also lost my kid when he was three... that quick little bugger decided he would walk across lava flows to his first sweeties house and go see her ! So yea, i know the shock and fear and anger of the moment. We were living and stationed on the now non military Nato Base near Keflavik, Iceland. I had everyone and the Air Force security looking for him. ( The weather can change in fifteen minutes for real up there. It was summer, but it was very cool out and he didnt know how to zip his own jacket up. -) So, yes... they do wander off and I am guilty of it in that instance. He also would sleepwalk sometimes at night and I slept pretty hard and one night he was out in the hall and the neighbor couldnt get my attention and had to keep him on her couch the rest of the night. Ok,my bad again. Luckily after that he didn't wander off! sheesh... clunking fist to head now.....

MomM, I know I have more disabled folks around me and I would check on everyone as a matter of course if i had my BOB stuff on my shoulders and had the time. I have dealt once with caring for an elderly lady who definitely had alzheimers but still had her wits about her when she chose to. Boy did she ever give me a run for her money!

One person who is in my age group but on kidney dialysis three times a week I believe, lives across the street. I was thinking I should make up a warning logo sign and post it on the outside door and one on his door of his apartment so the authorities would be reminded he was there and would need help evacuating maybe if i could not do it myself ( granted, that Im home when something was happening. ).

He did go through the flood five years back down here and had to be evacuated. If the water is rising, I think I would leave well ahead so I could get through it and get up higher, if I was home and usually I can be, so something like a flood, if its gradual, I could deal with, in taking care of my self.

Some of the tenants down here are scoundrels but some of us are friends and peers and we would probably help each other if needed, if only to reccomend something that can be done quickly like putting down cat food and water in big bowls for the cat next door, and to remind me of mine !

These are just little things, but they add up in the help department!

bouquet Good Morning

I wondered if we could share some food tips. Not only has the cost of things gone astronomical, but I often feel like I spend half of my time in the kitchen, and I'm wear of it.

My crock pot is a great tool to help, but I find it is more of a winter time thing than summer time??

Here's a winner recipe in my family for summer time,

It's very versatile, fairly inexpensive and no cooking involved.

Large can of REFRIED BEANS seasoned as you like them and the spread in the bottom of a lasagne type casserole dish

(I add onion powder,chili seasoning, salt, etc)

Now spread a layer of your favorite SALSA on top of the beans.

Chop LETTUCE and spread over the salsa

Top with GRATED CHEESE and then SOUR CREAM

Let chill, serve in squares, cutting similar to lasagne and with warmed tortilla chips of your choice.

I've added all kinds of ingredients at different times, like jalepenos, black olives, guacamole, etc.

This is very filling and very tasty. Of course, I have to make two! Naturally!!

feedme

Get your dc used to eating in a rut... :lol No seriously mine have oatmeal almost every AM. It is cheap, easy, and filling.

Teach your children to cook so it is not just you.

Make a menu! Try a basic one... Monday is always soup, just vary the type... Tuesday is always beans, etc...

Price out each of your meals ... it might surprise you. We found our pasta meals to be hardest on the pocket book

Stretch with homemade bread.

Stretch with rice.

Plant a garden and eat from it!

Raise your own meat & dairy...

cut or eliminate sodas

cut or eliminate *junk food*... I buy a bag of tortilla chips per month... and maybe 4 bags of *chips* a yr.

eat REAL food

cook from scratch

keep simple/quick meals on hand to eliminate runs to the store or fast food

pack a lunch

bulk cooking does not work for me, but I do succession cooking...

roast chicken tonight means stirfry or enchiladas or ?? tomorrow and cold pockets in the freezer

roast beef tonight means tacos & tostadas tomorrow night

green beans tonight means soup tomorrow

keep a *soup* container in the freezer and add your *bits* to it

keep a bag of bread ends in the freezer for stuffing

experiment... some of our favorite meals were created through *oh crud I have NOTHING to make*.... throw in some of this and some of that... That was where I got my Chinese Chicken soup...

do do treats... be it popcorn or homemade cookies or 1 cake a week with homemade ice cream... etc...

thanks

I'm doing some of these things, we've got chickens for eggs, a garden, etc.

I like the "general menu" idea. Soup night, bean & cornbread night, I do these but not assigned to a regular night. I think this would simpligy the "thought process".

I'd like to see your Chinese Chicken Soup recipe. feedme

The more dc we add and the older we get the better it is to simplify some decisions LOL

-------------------------

Chinese Chicken Soup

Chicken

2 jars of broth (I freeze broth in qt jars)

2 qts water

2 bags onions (2c per bag)

2 bags squash (1c per bag)

2 cans mushrooms

2 cans water chestnuts

2c soy sauce

4T garlic

2t pepper

leftover green beans (that were cooked with bacon & garlic YUM)

6-8 carrots peeled and sliced

2c peas

or whatever veggies you have left...

simmer 2-6 hrs... serve with bread or crispy Chinese noodles

---------------------

We shred and freeze zuchini & yellow squash from the garden and add them to most sauces and soups and casseroles we make...

We buy 50lb bags of onions... dice and freeze

both these things make cooking much simpler for us...

You might like this recipe.. a favorite of my dc's...

--------------------

BEAN SOUP WITH CHIPS

Soak overnight, or by quick method:

4 cups pinto or red beans

4 quarts water

Cook until soft

Add:

2 bags onions

2-3 lg cans of chopped green chilis

3 large cans of crushed tomatoes

1-2 carrots shredded

1 bag shredded squash

Spices: to taste

2T. chicken broth (powdered or granules

2T. garden seasoning or Mrs. Dash, etc.

5T. garlic

I do not use salt, but you can

Simmer on low about 4 hours, last 15 min add some chopped cilantro if you have it. Serve with grated jack cheese on top and tortilla chips on the side.We use chips instead of spoons to eat this...

Good ideas, Mrs J and P2B. smile

From many years experience with her, I can tell you that Mrs. J (TXQFMom) is very good at this sort of thing. I'm not a good cook, mostly because I don't enjoy it at all, and Mrs. J has given me a number of shortcuts for recipes and menus that have gotten me out of the kitchen, bless her sweet heart!

feedme Those recipes look great!

I announced the plan for oatmeal every morning *except weekends* and they didn't flip. This is a really good, healthy, economizing suggestion.

Now a question...most economical way to buy old fashioned oats??

I've been getting the Wally World brand. I've done one starter pack from the LDS and it had oats in it, but haven't tried them yet. I do know we like the old fashioned and not the "quick" oats. thanks

So far Walmart brand old fashioned rolled oats are cheapest *I* have found...

We buy the frozen apple juice concentrate and cook the oats IN apple juice, water, cinn, vanilla, and brown sugar... so we use less sugar and it has more flavor...

We prefer old fashioned too.. but I buy some quick oats that my 15yos uses are *instnt* oatmeal in the winter when he works with his dad..

Neat idea about the apple juice.

I know it may seem silly, but I'm actually excited about the oatmeal for breakfast every weekday morning. That's one decision I don't have to make...I'm so tired of thinking about food!!! feedme

Now, I need to make a similar decision about lunches... shrug

Oh I so totally understand!

#1 you don't have to think about it...

#2 you don't hear "Mom's what's for breakfast, dinner, lunch, supper... whatever"

I have done a lunch schedule before though I do not currently have one...

it was something like

Mon - pbj

Tues - ramen & veggies

Wed - veggies, fruit, & cheese

Thur - leftovers

Fri - sweet potatoes

Right now... frankly it is leftovers or pbj almost daily... with cheese & veggies on occasion

I've got 8 kids, two oldest home during college breaks, (plus two from hubby's previous marriage but they're all grown ages 30, 29) Ages 21-3 pretty evenly spaced- God's doing not mine. Just glad He gave me some space. My mom had 7 kids in ten years- I was the oldest.

Tips: They're always watching and remembering. Have a good sense of humor. Moms are allowed to make mistakes and not be perfect too. God put you all together for good reasons and He doesn't make mistakes. When in doubt use love. Sometimes that means tough love and that can be the hardest.

Oops I didn't read the second page before I posted smile Rice and potatoes are our big money savers plus having a hubby that works in a grocery store- meat dept helps a lot. It's never paid that great but our freezer is always full and we eat very well. When people tighten their belts and don't buy, it has to get reduced if it's meat- especially hamburger. Sprouts are a great addition to the diet when the garden is not in season. We freeze the old marked down bananas for summer smoothies- if I can't afford real juice I use Koolaid but with less sugar. Oatmeal is wonderful - I use it as a nut substitute in cookies along with a little peanut butter. I like lentils and split peas as they cook up quick but hubby lived for a whole summer on split pea soup and blackberries so I try not to do that to him very often.

wave Hi Joan!

I'm just getting into sprouting (thanks to a very generous Crazy4Canning who just gifted me her sprouter she no longer uses)

I am very interested in using this to add to sandwiches, salads, etc. I think we're going to really like it!

What kind of sprouts do you grow?

Archived