MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Its official: I hate canning

SugarDaisy

Alright, I canned today, and kept mental notes. Last night, I got 4 whole chickens - marked down - at the store. Apparently, not as many ppl had BBQ chicken for Independance Day as the store expected.

Of the four, I roasted one for dinner Sunday night. I held the "giblets" (guts and neck) over in the fridge. Today, I cut up the remaining three whole chickens. I cut off legs (drumstick and thigh) and put three in a freezer baggie (got two of those) for later meals. I held the necks, giblets and wing tips (*snipped* off the rest of the wing) in a bowl. I pulled the breast and rib meats off the bone. Those went into another bowl for raw pack canning. The rest of the carcasses (wings, breast bones & back) went into a soup pot.

I pressure canned 3 pints of breast and rib meat, plus three pints of "dog food" (wing tips, necks and giblets).

In the mean time, the soup pot bubbled away. I cut up 5 cups of potatoes, plus 3 cups of carrots. I separated the meat from the bones (about 2 cups of meat). Throw in some dried celery and salt: tada!!! 9 pints of soup!!! cheer

My total work time for all of these was about an hour.

Archived