MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can this BBQ sauce be modified for canning?

Wendy

This is an old family recipe. My grandparents raised me so I grew up eating canned foods using the open kettle method. This bbq sauce included. I'm still here, thank goodness. I forgive them since they didn't know what they were doing. wink I still make this sauce but just like my tomato sauces, I keep it in the freezer and it's so inconvenient. I always have to plan ahead if I want to use it. Anyway, this stuff is amazing and I like to keep lots of it on hand.

I already know I'd have to eliminate the oil and butter which is fine by me. I don't use as much oil as it calls for anyway and I try to get out as much oil as I can after it's done cooking. I could always add a dab or two of butter after it's been opened. It's a pretty thick sauce.

Here it is......

1/2 gallon cooking oil

3 lbs. onions

3 medium bell peppers

1 stalk of celery

1 bunch of onion tops

1 bunch of parsley

1 pod of garlic

3 cans of 8 oz. tomato sauce

3 bottles 20 oz. ketchup

1 bottle of Worcestershire sauce

3 tablespoons of mustard

3 tablespoons of sugar

3 tablespoons of salt

1/2 lb butter

Louisiana Hot Sauce to your taste

Grind onions, celery, bell peppers, parsley, onion tops and garlic. Mix all ingredients in pot of your choice and cook over a low fire for about 1-1/2 hours. You have to stir frequently. This will yield you about 1/2 gallon of sauce. After the sauce is cooled, skim off oil from top of sauce and save for basting your favorite meat while cooking outdoors. The remaining sauce may be used as you would prefer after your meat is cooked.

So, can this be modified? Would it need more acid? I could change the garlic to powdered if needed. How would I process it?

Thank you!

Wendy,

First of all, welcome to MrsSurvival...we're glad you've finally come out of lurker status and joined us!

Your BBQ sauce sounds absolutely awesome. I would can it myself, but I would pressure can it with a little lemon juice for acid added.

Good luck!

Thanks Darlene.

It's a family favorite. About how much lemon juice would you add to it? It's already got a little tart kick to it from the worcestershire. I'm wondering if it would need a little extra sugar when I add the lemon juice. I guess I'll have to taste along the way. Poor me. ;-) I'm going to leave out all the fat. I don't like it too oily anyway.

I'm right at sea level and I have a weighted gauge so I assume 10 lbs of pressure at ???? minutes?

Archived