MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Monday

Pixie

I guess everyone has been really busy this summer. smile I am looking forward to caning. I got a lot of odd looks when I was buying my garlic. I have dyed black hair with pink in it, i was wearing all black and black eyeliner and I was buying al this garlic...I told the cashioer that I was a vampire and I needed all the garlic to make a serum so that I don't need to feed on human blood. LOL This shopping trip took place after dark. lol

Over the next 3 days I will be pickleing garlic. The only part of the process I find teduious is peeling the garlic. You know, Pickled garlic is awesome on pizza with feta cheese spinach and mushrooms.

I want to go camping on the 27th, but the forcast calls for rain. I can camp in the rain, but I don't want to. The main reason I want to go camping is to try out all the hints and tipe I have learned from Mrs.S about cooking over a fire. I have a dutch oven i have not used yet, it is seasoned. I will let you know how it goes. Does anyone know of a cooking on an open fire cookbook? I never follow recipes, I always change them somehow. heh heh They are just guidelines, not set in stone. :P

How are you all doing?

Here's one synopsis of a Dutch Oven Cookbook from Amazon.

Never have I laughed so much as I did reading this cookbook. The stories are great and the recipes are even better. I used this book extensively while camping this year and it was the first time I ever used a DO(dutch oven). When my very picky middle daughter started looking for seconds and thirds at our meals, I knew I had learned a good thing. If anyone is just starting out or even is already using a dutch oven, this book is a must have! (Try the blackberry dump cake, I had'em licking out the dutchy!!) You will enjoy and use this book again and again!

Cee Dub's Dutch Oven and Other Camp Cookin'

Here's a synopsis for another cookbook.

This delightful book presents a mixture of terrific recipes, historic camp photos and wonderful tales of early days in the Forest Service. The emphasis is on Dutch oven and camp-fire cooking. Inside you will find dozens of interesting recipes: Bean Hole Beans, One-Eyed Buffaloes, Pistol Rock Chicken and Creamy Pumpkin Pie to name just a few.

Far more than just another cookbook, "Camp Cooking: 100 Years" is a real treasure of Forest Service lore. This is one book that always finds its way into our 5th wheel when we hit the road and yet quickly migrates back into the house as soon as we return to our place of sticks and bricks. If there is a better camp cooking book for the money, we don't know what it is.

Camp Cooking: 100 Years

Those are just a couple. There are alot listed at Amazon if you want to do a search for Dutch Oven Cooking or Open Fire Cooking.

I would loved to have been there to see the people in the store quietly backing away from the vampire. Hilarious!!! rofl

Thanks! I will definately check out those books. laugh

Archived