MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Young men being what they are....... my son ...... sigh

sassenach

cool It is cool he is getting out of the Marines on Monday, finally! But in his concientous way, he wants to keep busy , be able to pay his bills and save up for future events and money needs to establish a home later. As well as for his wedding to P probably a year and a half from now, approximately.

Well, he got hired by a company that does worldwide oil pipeline inspections. The company is based near Camp Lejeune, where his fiance is training to go to Iraq in the winter. Shes getting very busy. They like getting money and know that they are the only ones to bring it to their wallets. So they work hard.

But...... here I thought, oh good, hes not going to be in the marines anymore... I dont have to worry about him over there...

And he tells me his first trip out is to Korea..... yea, he said Korea awwman

So, I had too short a minutes on my phone and had to end the conversation after his explanation....

Now I will be leary of all the flying he will do on top of the harsher, terrorist types of places I know he will be in alot of the time. !

I am glad he will gain valuable work experience and the pay isnt bad. I know his motives are excellent, but it always reminds me, when things like this happen, is that he is so like the Indiana Jones Character, and doesn't mind doing daring things. ( He is quite capable).

Today, working in that capacity, is a risky job, with all the jihadists acting up. So, as a mother, I claim my right to worry on occassion for my son. Even if he is all grown up!

( I also know to not interfere or say no to him about it, of course)

But it scared me! Even as I bravado style congratulated him.

Other such things with anyone else's sons out there? ???

My boys aren't old enough to be giving me so many gray hairs. But my brother grew up and moved to Japan and my parents only see him every few years or so. They are lucky he is in a place that isn't so dangerous but I know they miss him. We keep in touch through email and chat through gmail, send photos back and forth, etc.

I will keep your son in my prayers! bighug

Thankyou Becca Anne. Yea, I miss my son alot, but I last saw him last christmas for three days. We certainly rely on phone and IM's and emails. There have been times since he was 17 that I went for much longer periods of time before I actually got to spend a day or two with him, but I did get to his Academy graduation, and if its safe still in the US, when he gets married to P, I will be there, he would make sure of that. ( once I know where they settle down at , as soon as I can save enough, I would move to their area, especially if its TX, eastern piney woods. )

They want me to as well, and asked if I would do that. certainly!

But for now, we just need to get through these very serious times.

BTW, my DS took two yrs of Japanese at the Academy. I think he should certainly have taken Arabic too, especially now. Well maybe Rosetta Stone software would be good investing for him these days.

My son, also a former Marine, is a carpenter and was lured by the big $$ for doing contract work in Iraq, but he had a little blond haired 10 year old daughter keeping him close to home. He fought so hard for her full custody in his divorce he made the right choice and stayed home for her sake. Had my old heart going for a while. He's the first generation of my family men not to be shot at and I'm fine with that.

Im just hoping he isnt in Dubai or some area in the middle east if things explode with Iran. Its enough to worry about his half brothers, the twins who are over there now, one in Dubai at the USMC base they nicknamed Camp Cupcake. I think I would feel better if Matt were in Afghanistan for sure. I also hope Michael didnt really go to the Gulf there but these boys, they all got the same genes and believe in America. And that they are invincible..... thats the factor...... so they are in my prayers everyday. As are all our fighting men and women. I guess I shouldn't be calling them boys. ( But you know how it is with us parents whistle

I think part of it with my son's mind and heart is that he can't be letting all those he loves going over in harms way, without doing his share still as much as he can. But certainly if there were a child and his wife to be wasnt home to care for it he would do that, or we would get me down south to take care of it. Jobs are going to dry up more and more with the financial picture so if he has to stay in that occupation to make a living, then thats what he will do I think.

Archived