MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Jam question

Yart

I have been looking at recipes for strawberry jam but they are all for 1/2 pint jars. I want to use pint jars. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the time. Or share a pint recipe that would be better. Thanks in advance.

Easy Strawberry Jam Recipe

Ingredients:

6 pints strawberries, washed

3 cups sugar

1 1/3 cups liquid pectin

Juice of one fresh lemon

Instructions:

In a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine the strawberries, sugar, pectin and lemon juice. Bring the liquid to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Spoon the hot mixture into 10 (1/2 pint) hot sterilized jars, filling to within 1/2 inch of the top. With a clean, damp towel, wipe and fit with a hot lid.

Tightly screw on the metal ring. Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes.

Using tongs, remove the jars, place on a towel, and let cool. Test the seals. Tighten the rings. Store in a cool , dark place.

Makes 10 half-pint jars.

You process for 10 min. unless you boil the jars first to sterilize them. Then it is 5 min. It is easier to just use clean jars and process 10 min. Any food processed 10 min. or longer do not need to have boiled, sterilized jars.

The reason for half pints and not pints in jams is because pints can have the tendency to not gel as easily as half pints.

It can affect the gel of jams. It won't be a safety issue, but it can possibly affect the gel.

Yart,

You are welcome for the tip. I never boil my jars first, I just process them all for 10 min. Technically, some of the more delicate jellies may not gel, but I don't see a difference in that.

Same for pints, normally they are fine. Sometimes they do take a bit longer to gel.

If things are not a safety issue I don't worry too much over some of those things.

Make it easy when you can.

There is a double batch strawberry jam recipe on the Sure Jell site, too.

Archived